Dual Sky Support for GL Skyboxes

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Dual Sky Support for GL Skyboxes

Postby Kazudra » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:11 am

I've tried it many times, but despite the Wiki saying it's possible; it simply isn't.

The concept is rather simple; You can Dual Sky mode for a combination of Regular Sky textures and GL Skyboxes, this could mean that the modder can always have a bottom layer sky that can be rotated at all times.

Scenario; E1M1, you look outside and the mountains stay stationary, while the rotating Sky2 act as cloud movement, making the place seem more "alive".
Kazudra

Re: Dual Sky Support for GL Skyboxes

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 pm

Kazudra wrote:I've tried it many times, but despite the Wiki saying it's possible; it simply isn't.

The concept is rather simple; You can Dual Sky mode for a combination of Regular Sky textures and GL Skyboxes, this could mean that the modder can always have a bottom layer sky that can be rotated at all times.

Scenario; E1M1, you look outside and the mountains stay stationary, while the rotating Sky2 act as cloud movement, making the place seem more "alive".

Okay, so what's the question?
Do you want:
  • Getting this difference included on the wiki
  • Made working in GZDoom if it is somehow not possible
  • Used in a mod
? I mean which GZDoom version are you using and how does your problem occur? What are you trying to do?

Or you didn't had a question?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 pm

I cheated once. I used a GL skybox inside a constructed map-based skybox. I also made an MD3 model that was merely a rotating cube. I put cloud textures on the face of the model, put the skybox camera inside the md3 model et voila, a GL-style skybox with floaty moving clouds laid over the top. ;)

As to actually answering the question, if you are talking about using two GL skyboxes, or a single GL skybox with a normal texture cloud overlay, I don't know if it can be done or not. I suspect not given that I used the above cheat but things could have changed since I did that. It was a good few years ago.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Kazudra » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:53 am

Enjay wrote:I cheated once. I used a GL skybox inside a constructed map-based skybox. I also made an MD3 model that was merely a rotating cube. I put cloud textures on the face of the model, put the skybox camera inside the md3 model et voila, a GL-style skybox with floaty moving clouds laid over the top. ;)

As to actually answering the question, if you are talking about using two GL skyboxes, or a single GL skybox with a normal texture cloud overlay, I don't know if it can be done or not. I suspect not given that I used the above cheat but things could have changed since I did that. It was a good few years ago.

This is closer to what I'm getting at;
It would be simpler to have full support with Normal and Gl Skyboxes, but really It needs to just have GL Sky1 NOT warp and GL Sky2 NOT override Sky1.
BUT, If it's not possible in the near future, I like the idea of your "cheat" and would like to learn how it's done (I simply just want a rotating cube Skybox with a stationary cube in the center; with textures it can be any vanilla skybox with perspective and moving skies)
Kazudra

Postby Enjay » Mon May 04, 2020 7:22 am

Sorry this is a bit late but here's a (not very good) example of what I was talking about. I could have done a better job of matching the faces of the model cube (you can see the seams in game) but it shows the idea anyway.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... estSky.pk3
Enjay

Postby Kazudra » Tue May 05, 2020 1:43 am

Enjay wrote:Sorry this is a bit late but here's a (not very good) example of what I was talking about. I could have done a better job of matching the faces of the model cube (you can see the seams in game) but it shows the idea anyway.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... estSky.pk3

That's kinda exactly what I have in mind.
Let's take Sky1 from Doom, Make the mountains the texture for the model, then take the sky itself and make it rotate.

Only question; how would I go about implementing your model... without making map modifications?
Kazudra

Postby Enjay » Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 am

Kazudra wrote:without making map modifications?

Ahh, there's the kicker. Because this relies on a skybox made of map geometry, this can't be done without editing the map.
Enjay

Return to Feature Suggestions