Update for the respawn mechanic.

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Update for the respawn mechanic.

Postby I'mSorry » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:11 pm

I want to suggest a “slight” rework or update to the "no respawn" option in the Gameplay Options. I was thinking something along the lines of a lives system being implemented in the game. It would be nice to play with a lives function, let's say you set a 3 lives limit, you only have those 3 attempts to respawn and do what you need to do.

it would be nice that this:
"No Respawn NO/YES"

Could be this:
"Respawn YES/NO/1 /2 /3 /4 /5 /6 /7 /8/ etc.

I think it would add a whole new dimension of play to a lot of wads and mods. You can do this somewhat by having "sv_singleplayerrespawn true" and just counting your respawns when you play, but that's just not the same as having a lives system already implemented.

This would be amazing in multiplayer co-op too, having something like that would make the already great co-op experience even better with a new fresh take on it. Like, once a player wasted their lives, they can come back as like a ghost (invisible player with no weapons) that can walk around and look at other players and stuff. Once all the players' lives have been taken down to 0 the map restarts to try and beat it again. if a player also beats the map, the dead players can come back in the next map and so on.

Thanks for your time devs <3
I'mSorry
Be nice and respectful to the devs, they work their butts off so you can play <3

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Update for the respawn mechanic.

Postby Zhs2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:13 am

DIY. Mods have done this before (see below), and while there isn't yet a pure ZScript variant, I'm sure one can be written robustly.

Soft Permadeath
Death Coin
Zhs2
Power of meh.

Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby I'mSorry » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Zhs2 wrote:DIY. Mods have done this before (see below), and while there isn't yet a pure ZScript variant, I'm sure one can be written robustly.

Soft Permadeath
Death Coin

Oh wow, thank you Zh, I'll test these out, they seem like fun!
I'mSorry
Be nice and respectful to the devs, they work their butts off so you can play <3

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Zhs2 wrote:while there isn't yet a pure ZScript variant, I'm sure one can be written robustly.

It is actually very easy to do it in ZScript if you override DeathThink(), since that's where the code for respawn/reload is located.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Feature Suggestions