3D PolyObjects

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

3D PolyObjects

Postby AtomicLugia » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 am

I don't know if this has been requested (and probably rejected) yet but here I go; The idea for 3D PolyObjects. They work just like the normal PolyObjects but they're more 3D (hence the title) and are able to move in any direction and rotate in any dimension. This would be a fine addition for maps that rely on 3D platforming without having to mess with ACS/ZScript and DECORATE stuff, as well as having to create a 3D model for it. It should be just a single sector (basically a block) to be turned into a 3D PolyObject for now. With it, it should be also possible to create 3D elevators or even 3D crushers and so on. I added a example picture/mock-up in the attachment. I hope this will be added soon. If not, then sorry if I disturbed anyone with it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AtomicLugia
A cyan Yoshi with a M249

Re: 3D PolyObjects

Postby Caligari87 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:21 am

Suggested and rejected many times. The engine just doesn't work this way.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Re: 3D PolyObjects

Postby Gez » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:52 am

You can kinda do that already, using a polyobject made of 3D middle textures, but there are still a number of important limitations. The first is that you will not see a top or bottom surface on such a thing. The second is that actors placed on the 3D pobj will not be carried with it when it moves. There are probably other, more minor, issues, too.

It's probably simpler to use a mobj with a 3D model than to try to shoehorn level geometry into doing that. With ZScript you can make an actor that overrides the normal collision rules, too.
Gez

Return to Feature Suggestions