Cel Shader

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Cel Shader

Post by bLUEbYTE »

Hi,
Just tried to do this myself in a .pk3 but I could not make it through all the shader compilation errors with my very limited shader language knowledge.

I think it would be really, really cool to have this Cel Shader in GZDoom: https://github.com/libretro/glsl-shader ... hader.glsl

This is how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1zMpYZvIcI

From what I gather from the comments in the source file, it suits low-def textures at relatively high resolutions especially well. I think it would look perfect with Doom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Cel Shader

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is not something trivially added to the engine, its shaders are already quite complex. It also requires high contrast content to work. I'll say "no", but wait with closing the report until other devs have given their opinion.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think this can easily be done if the shader is given access to the depth and normals buffer. A black line can be drawn at every break and corner, and a simple blur everywhere else. But the trick is getting depth and normals to a post processing shader that would be capable of doing this.

Doing this simply on the RGB channels, though, obviously, won't work. Daytime Drama 2 has one of my attempts at this, and it simply doesn't work as effectively as I would have hoped.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

As soon as shader can work with depth buffer, I hope to get parallax mapping working even better at distances that are farther from the player's camera.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Rachael wrote:Doing this simply on the RGB channels, though, obviously, won't work. Daytime Drama 2 has one of my attempts at this, and it simply doesn't work as effectively as I would have hoped.
It's one reason I haven't included it in latest test builds of the project.

Not that the shader attempt was bad per se - I was grateful you attempted a shader, but it would have been so much better with access to depth information or texture information, and people have said it's been hard to see things due to the shader not having access to depth info making some things not render properly.

Obviously I'm not a dev, but I feel what Rachael has suggested should be put in... on the other hand I know adding new features can sometimes not be trivial to add.

(also it's weird how DD2 doesn't even have a thread yet, but is relevant to GZDoom development... interesting)

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”