SectorAction for 3D Floors

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

SectorAction for 3D Floors

Postby Cedric Sunningridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Apologies if this exists but I can't find any reference to it on the Wiki.

To my knowledge, there's no way to replicate Transfer_Heights sector actions using 3D floors, so it is impossible to have effects like water splashes when the player hits a swimmable 3D floor without the use of the waterlevel property to hack something together. A set of SectorAction actors specific to 3D floors would be useful.
Cedric Sunningridge

Re: SectorAction for 3D Floors

Postby Rachael » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm

These are already in. Simply use effects like "actor hits floor" inside the 3D floor's control sector. I've used this to make 3D teleporters.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Cedric Sunningridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Rachael wrote:
> These are already in. Simply use effects like "actor hits floor" inside the 3D floor's
> control sector. I've used this to make 3D teleporters.

I'm trying that but it's just not working. I've got a pool of water set up using a 3D floor, and a script is to be triggered which plays a splashing sound when the player enters the water. Puking the script shows that it works. I've placed thing 9999 (actor hits floor) in the control sector and its special should activate my script, but nothing happens when I go into the water. I've tried most of the other sector actions too, like "eyes below fake floor" and "actor hits ceiling," but no such luck. Also using the latest devbuild of GZDoom from just today.

Am I doing something wrong?
Cedric Sunningridge

Postby Kinsie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:39 am

It's best to create splashes using the TERRAIN lump to specify splash effects on a per-texture basis.

That being said, some sector effects don't seem to work with 3D floor water. I had to fake a current-pull effect in NULL using custom actors.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Gez » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am

A problem sometimes is that 3D floors use the ceiling for the floor (since it's the upper plane) and the floor for the ceiling (since it's the lower plane) and that does hinder the behaviors of some special effects. I remember having to use a Vavoom-style 3D floor (negative sector height) so that the floor was mapped to the floor, allowing a scroll effect to work.
Gez

Postby Cicero Clibblehood » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm replacing Transfer_Heights-based water (and 3D architecture in general) in a project and there's no way to replicate the splashing effect. Specifying a *dive sound for the player works, but that doesn't apply to anything else that hits water.

Thanks for the replies at least, I'll just do without splashing.
Cicero Clibblehood

Return to Feature Suggestions