Add parameter to SetDamage() to disable randomization.

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Add parameter to SetDamage() to disable randomization.

Post by Guest »

Use case: A projectile is deflected by a shield and has its damage increased. Shield overrides CanCollideWith and sets projectile's damage to (damage * 2). Ok, for vanilla projectiles that works wonderfully, but once the projectiles start having expressions or other static numbers that require a lack of randomization, things get complicated.

That said, would it be possible to add a bool to disable randomization for damage changed by SetDamage()?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Add parameter to SetDamage() to disable randomization.

Post by Matt »

Seconded... on the proviso that if someone knows a better way to set this stuff that already exists I'd like to know (and make a note somewhere on the wiki where people can actually see it).

That said:
Shield overrides CanCollideWith and sets projectile's damage to (damage * 2)
Please do not do this. It should be a lot better documented, but doing things that change or affect actors in the playsim with a data function like CanCollideWith can lead to a lot of bad things happening because a lot of different things will be relying on this check and it can happen many more times than you might think.

Post by Guest »

Oh right, thanks for the reminder. I did read about that in the wiki, multiple times in fact, but forgot it was quite problematic. Will fix it.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

OP here. This can be closed because I realized a while ago that I could just make a variable and use it in DamageFunction, rendering this feature suggestion unnecessary. For my goals at least. Maybe someone else can find an actual use for it.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”