Calibration for 3D Glasses

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Calibration for 3D Glasses

Post by Zenon »

It's hard to determine what settings are the best ones for you and your 3D glasses, whichever type they may be.
So why not set up some sort of calibration in the options menu for 3D glasses, something like "Move slider until the two boxes become one" sort of thing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Calibration for 3D Glasses

Post by Graf Zahl »

Mainly because none of the main developers have 3D glasses or much interest in coding support for them. Nearly all code involved here was externally contributed.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Oh, you should totally get some, they're really great
You'd probably like them
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's the same I always here from fans of these things. What you completely forget is that not everybody can really use them, mainly due to uneven vision between both eyes. I even get dizzy from 3D at the movie theatre after only a few minutes.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

At a movie theater, nobody can change the stereoscopic 3d settings to suit them, if the 3d effect looks off in any way, they have to cope with it.

In any case, if none of the lead devs can do this, please at least leave this open for others to give it a go
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zenon wrote:At a movie theater, nobody can change the stereoscopic 3d settings to suit them, if the 3d effect looks off in any way, they have to cope with it.

In any case, if none of the lead devs can do this, please at least leave this open for others to give it a go
The way is always open; GZDoom is open source, remember. All anybody needs to do is post a Code Submission, and provided it doesn't break anything else, it'll probably be accepted.

So even if this specific thread gets sent to [No]'s-ville, all that means is that the main dev team don't want to do it.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

wildweasel wrote:So even if this specific thread gets sent to [No]'s-ville, all that means is that the main dev team don't want to do it.
That doesn't seem to be very well known in the community, as I've not seen or heard of anybody sifting through the closed suggestions saying "Actually, I could do that".
Unless you could give me some examples
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zenon wrote:
wildweasel wrote:So even if this specific thread gets sent to [No]'s-ville, all that means is that the main dev team don't want to do it.
That doesn't seem to be very well known in the community, as I've not seen or heard of anybody sifting through the closed suggestions saying "Actually, I could do that".
Unless you could give me some examples
How about:

- Decorate weapons
- Ambient occlusion
- ADLMIDI
- The Unreal Tournament model format
- Far more that I'm not remembering off hand.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

That definitely fills me with confidence
Thank you
biospud

Post by biospud »

Zenon wrote:It's hard to determine what settings are the best ones for you and your 3D glasses, whichever type they may be.
So why not set up some sort of calibration in the options menu for 3D glasses, something like "Move slider until the two boxes become one" sort of thing.
All the currently implemented types of 3D glasses work pretty much the same way at the moment; so the calibration procedure should be the same for all.

I don't know what you mean about "Move slider until the two boxes become one"; If you could point me to the documentation for some 3D program that has that, I would be very interested to study that.

The manual calibration procedure is as follows:
  1. Measure three distances, in meters:
    1. The distance between your pupils. This is vr_ipd.
    2. The distance from your eyes to the display. This is vr_screendist.
    3. The width of your display. This is related to fov (field-of-view angle). But I warn you, you probably won't be happy with the "correct" fov. You'll be seeing much less of your environment.
  2. Set vr_ipd either in the console [~], or in Menu->Options->DisplayOptions->OpenGLRenderer->DistanceBetweenYourEyes
  3. Set vr_screendist either in the console [~], or in Menu->Options->DisplayOptions->OpenGLRenderer->DistanceToYourScreen
  4. Set fov in the console [~] to the result of 360 * atan(0.5*displaywidth/vr_screendist) / Pi. I'm suddenly surprised to not find a menu option to adjust fov.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”