Messages hiding themselves when they obstruct view

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

masterkark

Messages hiding themselves when they obstruct view

Post by masterkark »

If you switch to automap or read level summary, messages don't disappear immediately, making you having to wait a few seconds to read anything in the corner they are displayed in. For example, monster and secrets count on automap is obstructed by messages. I think there should be an option to hide this messages when the main gameplay view is off-focus.
Enjay

Re: Messages hiding themselves when they obstruct view

Post by Enjay »

I assume that we are talking about this...

In case it helps, there is an option to show messages centred. That way they are less likely to obscure the map stats.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's a good solution if you like the centered messages (and to be honest, that looks better than letting them stay left-justified), but if you're a bit of a purist or you're used to seeing them on the left hand side you might prefer them there, therefore there's still merit to the original suggestion, in my opinion. The problem is, as can be plainly seen when in automap mode, the messages intentionally override anything there, and that is by original Doom design - you'd see pickup messages in the automap if you ran over an item.

The cleanest way I know of to implement this is something that's somewhat hacky, and that is to either destroy the messages immediately while in automap mode, or simply turn off the particular UI processor that places them there when it's active.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I agree that there is merit to the original suggestion. The problem, however, is one that you identified. Sometimes the messages being displayed at the automap screen can be useful.

What about, rather than not showing them at all, there was an option to change where messages are shown when the automap is active. e.g. shift them down so that they always appear lower than any enabled automap stats?

Or maybe there's a better location for the stats?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

How about using a less problematic layout for the automap info?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unless the map name is very long, bottom-left is clear is it not?

Problem is, if it does foul the map name, then the clash will be permanent because the map name and the stats will be permanently on (versus the messages which are time limited).

Would something like half-way down on the left be acceptable?

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I was thinking more about putting them on the right, with the time.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That would also work. Dunno why I seem to be obsessed with them being on the left. :lol:
masterkark

Post by masterkark »

It still does not solve the level summary screen obstruction. I think at this point the messages should die out since the level is finished anyway. But in the case of automap, the suggestion with counters in the middle or on the right is nice.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”