Compatibility for Discord Overlay

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Compatibility for Discord Overlay

Post by Zenon »

pretty much what it says on the tin, would it be possible to make GZDoom compatible with Discord's game overlay?
Unless that's up to them and not you guys..
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Compatibility for Discord Overlay

Post by Graf Zahl »

In what way is that overlay not compatible? I do not use such stuff.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I don't know what GZDoom uses to make itself incompatible, however this program is relatively simple and apparently can do it: https://github.com/AsterDW/DiscordOverl ... OpenGlHost

My guess is, it's something in the init code that informs Discord/Steam/Twitch/Overwolf/whatever that "hey I am a game, you can show your overlay on me!". I have no idea if any special handling is required (such as turning off raw mouse input) when the overlay is active - the linked program definitely does not go that deep as it doesn't even process inputs to begin with.

@ Graf (or any other dev): If you do ever get around to testing anything, Discord allows you to create your own server, and you can simply hop into your own private voice channel, and that will be sufficient to test the overlay - as long as it's activated in your user settings.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Unfortunately that program is useless. Not only is it C# (.NET), but also only using OpenGL compatibility profile. It doesn't tell me anything. And if Discord needs special settings it's their task to advertise them.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The program wasn't linked with the intention to be used - it was merely to look at its init calls for OpenGL setup, regardless of what language it is in. I agree that Discord should just tell us how to get the overlay working in any game, though.

Of course, if Discord is only compatible with OpenGL compatibility mode, then that is an issue on Discord's (or possibly Windows') side.

I tried GZDoom legacy with -glversion 2 and it didn't activate the overlay, so it might be something else that's needed.

EDIT: It worked when I switched GZDoom to my Intel processor. However, GZDoom was no longer able to register keyboard inputs when I did that. Intel forces compatibility profile for OpenGL, so that's probably why.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:The program wasn't linked with the intention to be used - it was merely to look at its init calls for OpenGL setup, regardless of what language it is in. I agree that Discord should just tell us how to get the overlay working in any game, though.
... which doesn't work because there's some high-level wrapper around the important stuff, and that wrapper is an external library.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I really don't think this will work, anyhow, though. Right now this request is not feasible.

If GZDoom is started in Core profile mode, it hangs when Discord tries to attach the overlay. If GZDoom is started in Compatibility profile mode, the keyboard will stop registering inputs.

Either way, this may be an issue with OpenGL implementation, or with Windows' implementation, or with Discord itself, but as long as it requires GZDoom to start in compatibility mode, it's not going to work. Even if we do implement such an option, there has to be some way to get GZDoom to hold onto the keyboard with the overlay, which currently it cannot do.

Unless there's a developer who's willing to invest time and energy into this, there's no way it will happen, so this can probably be safely marked [No].
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

Assuming that the OpenGL implementation is the issue here, will this be possible with Vulkan when it's in by any chance?
Gez

Post by Gez »

That entirely depends on whether or not the Discord Overlay can handle Vulkan. It's not something we can answer from here.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If it got problems with an OpenGL core profile, chances are that it was made by hack programmers so having those deal with something even more advanced is unlikely.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”