game-doom-id and game-freedoom filters

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

game-doom-id and game-freedoom filters

Post by Matt »

(or maybe just a "doom.id" filter since we've already got "doom.freedoom")

I've got a gameplay mod that (like many others) contains a lot of little aesthetic fixes that are really specific to the original Doom and its direct descendants, e.g.:

DSSHTGN edited to remove the racking sound
POSS/SPOS/PLAY E/F sprites firing from the shoulder
various HUD weapon sprites realigned to be properly centered on the screen

All of this, of course, breaks the look and feel if loaded into Freedoom - zombies suddenly change form when they shoot, shotgun sounds are inconsistent, weapon animations don't even begin make sense.

Right now the only way to prevent this content from appearing is either:
1. put them all into doom.doom1 and doom.doom2 filters, giving us 2 copies of the exact same information in one mod; or
2. include overrides for all affected assets in the doom.freedoom filter as well, regardless of whether the Freedoom version of the thing actually calls for any sort of fix (and possibly running afoul of the GPL if I, or any other modder, am not paying specific attention to this issue).
[EDIT, for the record, what I've since been doing between this post and the addition of the filter: 3. Add a blank "id" lump to each and every one of the id game filters, and have ZScript check for that and replace sprites or actors as appropriate.]

Either option is unpleasantly bloaty and hacky.

Can we have a filter that is specific to the id IWADs, for assets that could only ever work with them and not Freedoom?
Last edited by Matt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: game-doom-id and game-freedoom filters

Post by Matt »

I'm bumping this because it occurs to me that GZDoom's own crouching player sprites have the same problem.

(Crouching sprites could be made for the Freedoom player (I'm slowly trying to work on some now) and placed in gzdoom.pk3, but they could desync at any time if anyone redoes the Freedoom sprites and doesn't realize there's this other set of related sprites in a sourceport somewhere.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Unfortunately this was overlooked when the system was implemented. There definitely needs to be a "doom.id" filter.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Done. The new naming is "doom.id.doom1" and "doom.id.doom2", the old ones "doom.doom1" and "doom.doom2" are deprecated now.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sweet, thanks!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry for barging in, but curiosity got the better of me. What gameplay mod are we talking about? Mind sharing a link, or is it for personal use/not finished yet?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I presume the mod in Question is Hideous Destructor, based on the description of the changes.

8-)
dpkonofa

Post by dpkonofa »

Graf Zahl wrote:Done. The new naming is "doom.id.doom1" and "doom.id.doom2", the old ones "doom.doom1" and "doom.doom2" are deprecated now.
As a point of clarification, is the deprecation notice simply intended so that mod authors going forward don't use the old filters or is the plan to actually remove support for the old filters eventually? It seems that GZDoom could probably (and likely is) detecting which syntax is being used, hence the inability to mix them, but wouldn't removing the old filters completely break older WADs?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Support is always maintained as long as possible. That being said, you should use the new filter name in order to ensure longevity of your mod.

As has been said dozens upon dozens of times - deprecation does NOT mean removal!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Freedoom is a lot more playable now than it was a few years ago, so I expect in the future partial replacement of resources targeted at id only (weapon sprite fixes, remixes of sounds, etc.) and failing to use the new filters will start getting you more "this breaks in Freedoom" complaints.
deathgrip22
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by deathgrip22 »

Can somebody explain why to even have these filters and how I can make the a game using an older filter system compatible with GZDoom 4.1.2?

A texture pack I really like is messed up in Plutonia and TNT, all I can do to fix it is delete the problem-causing textures in question, but this is not a solution.
Matt

Post by Matt »

There's no reason why this would break the old system - it's just deprecated not discarded.

I think it's best to post a new bug report with a link to the file in question.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”