Few DECORATE improvements for corpses operations

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Void Weaver

Few DECORATE improvements for corpses operations

Post by Void Weaver »

1. Now A_CheckProximity works only via "classname", as function core itself. But what about work without necessariness of "classname" assignment?
For what?
Let say that we need for corpse seeking around, well we can use a more complicated and clumsy script with using A_CheckLOF+A_SetUserVar+A_CheckFlag but it can be easy replaced with a some line like this one:
A_CheckProximity ("JumpState", "None", float distance [, int count [, CPXF_NOCLASS|CPXF_DEADONLY|CPXF_SETTRACER|CPXF_CLOSEST, int ptr]]])
It would be a cool flexible replacement for A_VileChase corpseseeking code pattern. Well, we can also use the CPXF_ANCESTOR flag but that will force to edit whole bestiary-pack for example, i. e. this is quite modding unfriendly way.

2. Thanks to randi for awesome GetSpawnHealth but it really needs pointers I guess, but randi don't think so. Let say that actor "A" found an "B" actor's corpse and want to "explode" it with fair percentage SpawnHealth-based damage value. But how "A" can get "B's" SpawnHealth without pointers? I've tried get SpawnHealth via mediator-actor, whose transferr inventory items as SpawnHealth counters, but I couldn't to manage with it.

Sorry for my English.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Few DECORATE improvements for corpses operations

Post by Graf Zahl »

1. Use "Actor" as class name and allow subclasses.
2. Use ZScript. There you can do what you want.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Graf Zahl wrote:1. Use "Actor" as class name and allow subclasses.
Void Weaver wrote:this is quite modding unfriendly way.
2. I am nothing in acs\zscript, but I understand your point dear Graf (no ironic). And I already know that acs\zscript provides almost limitless possibilities in compare to decorate, therefore suggestions for decorate.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Decorate is no longer going to be updated anymore and is considered deprecated. If you want to make adjustments, you can just build your own version of A_CheckProximity if you want via ZScript.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Are you serious?! 0_0
Does it mean what decorate modding is dead in mid-\long-range perspective?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The king is dead. Long live the king.

DECORATE will no longer be added to (but GZDoom will continue to support the existing DECORATE position, otherwise literally hundreds of mods would break).

However, Zscript is now implemented and more powerful than DECORATE. It's also quite easy to get into because, syntactically, it's very similar to DECORATE, especially if you are just doing simple actor (or class, now) definitions.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”