Message Scaling - like SetHUDSize

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Enjay

Message Scaling - like SetHUDSize

Post by Enjay »

These days, I like to use HUDMessages with SetHUDSize 640x480. To me, this gives a nice size and quite readable messages. However, I haven't found a way of getting messages such as "A Secret Is Revealed!" and the various key-requiring door messages to scale in the same way on my 1920x1200 monitor (I can get close-ish, but not exactly the same). This means that any text I put on screen via a HUDMessage looks slightly different to stuff generated natively by the game engine - especially problematic if I am trying to emulate messages like the ones mentioned.

If there isn't already a way to do it, would it be possible for a way that the HUD scaling options menu could include something like "Emulate [insert screen resolution here]"? Or maybe something in the GAMEINFO section of MAPINFO?

I realise that there are loads of different screen size options possibilities so this may just be an unwieldy beast, but if something could be done, it would be much appreciated.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Message Scaling - like SetHUDSize

Post by Rachael »

Ohhh I do so dread mucking around in the HUD code. But I fully agree that this would be nice.

I really really really do not like the scaling code as it is, where it tries to find a clean multiple to the current resolution that looks "good" (emphasis on quotes).

When you start using the video scaling, the HUD multiples go right out the window, anyhow. I'd rather just have the option to have them linearly scaled to a static size, regardless of the resolution.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

/me runs away in panic... :?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Not the HUDMessages D:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Everyone's favourite feature syntax-wise. :?

I've only just really started getting the hang of them. They now make a lot more sense to me, but I'd still have to check up which type of HUDMessage uses which parameters and what they all mean rather than just using them from memory.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”