Non-inherent version of Forbidden/Restricted/Visibleto

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Non-inherent version of Forbidden/Restricted/Visibleto

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 am

It would be nice if there's a version of ForbiddenTo/RestrictedTo/VisibleToPlayerClass which acts as a black/white list and does not check inheritance. Strictly only those directly listed are affected by the properties.

Right now I'm trying to optimize some of D4D's demon runes while adding a new feature. There is an upgrade that allows picking up the runes of the same class type to extend the duration and heal the morphed player. Runes that are applicable have this ring.

An image to demonstrate. Currently I'm morphed as an arachnotron, so the rune on the left I can pick up. The rune to the right is a mancubus rune - it's not compatible so the ring turns invisible.

But in order to make this multiplayer friendly, I need a non-parent checking version of ForbiddenTo/RestrictedTo. Otherwise I would have to resort to using nasty hacks like the PowerSpeed trail... Not a good thing.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Re: Non-inherent version of ForbiddenTo/RestrictedTo

Postby Gez » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

Can't you just override TryPickup?
Gez

Re: Non-inherent version of Forbidden/Restricted/VisibleTo

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 am

It's not the pickup itself I need it for. It's the ring, the visual indicator of being compatible.

Not to mention the player can't actually pick up the items to begin with thanks to -PICKUP. I use a different method.

EDIT: Forgot to mention VisibleToPlayerClass too.
Major Cooke
The road to Hell is paved in the carrion she leaves behind.

Discord: Major Cooke#0846

Return to Feature Suggestions