IWADINFO: Make "Game" attribute optional

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

RockstarRaccoon

IWADINFO: Make "Game" attribute optional

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Earlier, I was looking through the source code to figure out what exactly the "game" attribute did, and I noticed that everything it does was actually turned over to the user a while ago, and most of it (like actor definitions) isn't even used in the source code anymore. I was thinking that maybe it could be made into an optional attribute, or a value of "Standalone" or "GZDoom" or something could be added, so that the people who make standalone games wouldn't be loading any of that code and could just do all that from scratch.

Is this feasible?
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: IWADINFO: Make "Game" attribute optional

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I have a feeling that it will break TCs.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's still places in the engine which require something valid here. The "Game" setting doesn't do much but mainly defines what defaults need to be used for certain data.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I got that, I can tell from the code that it is used in a couple if statements, what I'm saying is that it feels like it's close to being depreciated simply because the vast majority of the things it set are gone, and the other things should be (and I'm pretty sure already are) user controllable.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”