Weapon selection query via number key press

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Weapon selection query via number key press

Post by StroggVorbis »

When you have multiple weapons in a slot, for example shotgun and super shotgun in slot 3, you have to wait for the super shotgun to raise before the second keypress is effective. Pressing '3' two times in quick succession without your current weapon having fully lowered still brings up the super shotgun instead of the shotgun. Basically, what I want is that a number key can be pressed multiple times during the same deselect state to immediately select a specific weapon in a slot like you can with 'Next Weapon' and 'Previous Weapon'.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Weapon selection query via number key press

Post by Matt »

I wonder if this would be possible in ZScript, or possible to be made open to ZScript...
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

If it isn't possible in ZScript, there's still the possibility of implementing it at the source code level. Of course, if the demand and interest in such a feature is sufficient. I have no programming knowledge whatsoever.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

... Are you sure you aren't mistaking your Chocolate Doom or PrBoom executables for your GZDoom executable? Because while that's how it works in vanilla Doom, you've been able cancel out a weapon's raising animation at any time to select another weapon for a while in ZDoom.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I think this topic is about hitting "3" twice in rapid succession while (say) the BFG is still lowering to skip the SSG entirely and get to the shotgun right away, not just hitting 3 again while the SSG's coming up and having it go down before it's all the way up.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I feel smell "half-life weapon selection menu".
And yes, this can be done in zscript, I remember I see somethig like this in some mod. Or that was ACS...
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Interesting, like Arctangent mentioned you can cancel a weapon swap for another weapon, but it is limited.

Assuming you have pistol selected:
-press 3 then immediately press 4: chaingun will appear instead of ssg
however the following won't work
-press 3 then immediately press 3: same as if you pressed 3 only once (won't go to single barrel)
-press 3 then immediately press 2: same as if you pressed 3 only once (won't go back to pistol)

I've replaced "slot 3" with "use shotgun", then use another key binding for "use supershotgun". Just gotta remember that you have a ssg to select when playing Doom2.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Arctangent, what you say is true and I already knew what, but what I mean is how @Matt and @Hypersonic understood it. I'm sorry for not describing my request clear enough.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Excuse me for bumping, but what's the state on this from the developers' standpoint? I have to admit, the title and description are very ambiguous :P
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Apeirogon wrote:I feel smell "half-life weapon selection menu".
And yes, this can be done in zscript, I remember I see somethig like this in some mod. Or that was ACS...
Hi! I made a mod that is very close to this with ACS.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”