Non-solid Polyobjects

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Non-solid Polyobjects

Post by Xane123 »

Every polyobject is solid in ZDoom/GZDoom, which works for things like doors, but there's one idea I came up with today that would only work if polyobjects could be non-solid.

Basically, polyobjects stop rendering behind them. This gave me an idea to use a big one that follows the player to stop rendering and improve the framerate as all of my levels are open and aren't typical Doom corridors. However, all monsters and solid objects stop it in its tracks as both are solid. Is it possible to add in a new start point that would make the polyobject non-solid? It could come in handy for more than my hackish idea.

I would say to just add a rendering distance limit in the OpenGL renderer but I read that was no'd for some reason in the past so this is my only way to possibly improve performance while leaving maps untouched.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Non-solid Polyobjects

Post by Xane123 »

Seems this wasn't noticed by anyone; I'm not sure if it was a bad feature suggestion but I think it could have uses. I've added the hackish polyobject "render culling" to my TC but the polyobject being solid forcibly makes it hard to make it work with a lot of enemies and objects. Therefore, it would be good to add in an additional polyobject type that isn't solid if it doesn't take much work to add it, though I don't know how much work it is.

Yes, I know this is a bump, but I don't know if anyone thinks this could be a helpful thing or if it being posted right before midnight made it so no developer saw this before it fell off the first page or something.

EDIT: Messing in the source code (which I'll never try a pull request for as I bet it'd be rejected due to very low quality), I've found that commenting out most of FPolyObj::CheckMobjBlocking causes the effect I desire, actually; The polyobject's solid to the player and enemies, but the polyobject doesn't care if it moves on top of them, meaning it doesn't stop for every enemy it has to phase through. Having this and truly non-solid polyobjects would be best.
Spoiler: Another reason...

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”