Fast global/static variables

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

argv

Fast global/static variables

Post by argv »

Currently, the process for making a global variable in ZScript implies a severe performance penalty (from iterating over all live thinkers, plus adding to think time per tic) and/or a waste of memory (from having a pointer to the MyGlobalVariables instance in every object that needs access to it).

Please consider adding support for global/static variables that doesn't involve such an expensive lookup, preferably with some way to initialize them at startup (without the overhead of using an event handler for this purpose).

Alternatively, you might add “singleton objects”: a declaration of an object that has its own type, has exactly one global instance at all times, and is constructed and initialized at startup. Example of this idea:

Code: Select all

object MyGlobalVariables
{
	int testVar;

{
		testVar = 42;
		Console.Printf("MyGlobalVariables.testVar was initialized to %d.", testVar);
	}
}

class MyActorClass : Actor
{
	states
	{
		Spawn:
			TNT1 A 0 nodelay A_SomeAction(MyGlobalVariables.testVar);
			…
	}
}
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Fast global/static variables

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, definitely not like this. What you MAY get is global UI variables, but global play variables are definitely out. They will have to be stored in the playsim and serialized along with it and the only way to do that is as a thinker. Just as importantly, they will have to be reset when the user starts a new game. The best that can be done is to optimize the access to a global variable storage object, but that's it.
argv

Post by argv »

Ah, good point. Okay, that's fine too!
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

How can that be optimized? I'd like to know so I can do so with my own.

Right now I'm more-so just relying upon an event handler to store it and do all that jazz in itself.
Leonard2

Post by Leonard2 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The best that can be done is to optimize the access to a global variable storage object, but that's it.
Why wasn't that done as a temporary solution?
That could be done while we wait on something like this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

How about "I didn't have the time to do it yet"? Just to refresh your memory, ever since I started a new job I barely have any free time left to work on GZDoom and really prefer to spend my weekends away from the computer.
Leonard2

Post by Leonard2 »

That's fine, no need to be on the defensive here, I was genuinely asking in case you had decided against this because the post I linked is from 2016 and I wasn't really aware of your situation at that point.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”