Controller Rumble Support?

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

Re: Controller Rumble Support?

Post by Xaser »

Add an A_Rumble and let folks opt into it as they please. Someone will create a patch for the original weapons, and while it's not quite native support, I dunno what can be done about that without entering bad-assumption-ville.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

A_Rumble is probs the best place to start. However, how about use a default setting of whenever the player moves but is not input based. that would cover damage, earthquake, and other external sources, as well as other obvious ones like A_recoil.
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

Well, I think for one, we should definitely leave it to the modder to have as much flexibility as possible, therefore not hardcoding any specific actions to automatically make the controller rumble (unless there are some chosen defaults that can be altered in the options, which are talked about later).

It would most definitely be tremendously cool to have something very in-depth such as both the duration and intensity of the rumble for the action function.

Another thing that comes to my mind as an idea is something far more vague, which is rumble intensity based on distance! So if you have an explosion nearby, it will be a small shake, but then when there is an explosion that is very close to the player, then it will viciously rumble. Though again, the modder should have complete control over the intensity/duration, and such.

In conclusion, I feel as if all of this can be split up in two, so that there is a virtual action function attached to the player, to make certain actors trigger the rumble (such as the idea of distance-based stuff), and then the action function can be for weapons and items (just call it in the states). I suppose the virtual function can have defaults, such as pre-existing ones, and then the user can choose intensity within the options.

Post by Guest »

Let's resurrect this one. Anyone else interested in force feedback in 2021? Just asking. There exists something called QuestZDoom that claims to have haptic feedback as a feature, and is running a version of LZDoom. Anyone have the hardware to test this one? Maybe it could be a help in showing how force feedback could be implemented?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ursula Bittingstadge wrote:Let's resurrect this one. Anyone else interested in force feedback in 2021? Just asking. There exists something called QuestZDoom that claims to have haptic feedback as a feature, and is running a version of LZDoom. Anyone have the hardware to test this one? Maybe it could be a help in showing how force feedback could be implemented?
Point me to the source code of QuestZDoom and I'll take a look. I will only be able to implement it for XInput because it's all the gear I have, but hopefully the foundation will be reusable for anyone else who wants to add it for non-XInput controllers.
Muusi
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Muusi »

Nash wrote:Point me to the source code of QuestZDoom and I'll take a look. I will only be able to implement it for XInput because it's all the gear I have, but hopefully the foundation will be reusable for anyone else who wants to add it for non-XInput controllers.
https://github.com/DrBeef/QuestZDoom/tr ... mgw_mobile

Hope this helps and already a massive thank you! Xinput is probably used by almost everyone who uses a controller these days so it's obviously the most important one :)

EDIT: Just remembered there was also a GZDoom build with some Xinput rumble functionality made by Edward850 but sadly the link was already dead :(

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”