Distance3DSquared, LengthSquared

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Distance3DSquared, LengthSquared

Post by Matt »

Summoning that first actor, which calls dot 1M times per tic, takes me down to forty-something ~57 FPS.

Summoning that second actor, which calls length 1M times per tic, takes me down to <2 FPS (around 560 580-something ms per frame).

EDIT: Just tried it again.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

To clarify: A Length() vs LengthSquared() test is not what he's looking for. That's an apple to orange case because Length has square root and obviously it'll be a lot slower.

What he wants to know (correct me if I'm wrong) is if doing "x dot x" is faster than doing a "LengthSquared" and/or the "Distance3DSquared". But we can't really test that out since we don't have functions for it on the native side.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Got it. (your point, anyway, not the code required to test that...)

A Distance3DSquared would be helpful for this anyway since AFAIK the portable-sensitive relative position is not available to ZScript (and I'm assuming from looking at the Distance3D code that adding that would be less complicated than making that relative position available).
Matt

Post by Matt »

It just occurred to me:

Any mod that tried to calculate damage based on e=mv^2 would now either:

1. take a bunch of extra steps in the virtual machine adding the squares of vel.x/y/z; or
2. take an extra step calculating a square root before squaring that square root in the virtual machine.

Would be nice to avoid that with a native lengthsquared.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Agreed. Currently D4D runs this calculation every tic on the player in order to check for certain features like ledge grabbing (or more like ledge warping now...)
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Vaecrius wrote: Any mod that tried to calculate damage based on e=mv^2 would now either:
Any mod trying to do that would be wrong, since e = 1/2(mv^2) :P.
But regardless, I agree on the idea of Distance3D/LengthSquared. Sometimes the sqrt just wastes time, and many maths libraries/game engines implement this for that reason (for example, glm's length2(), and Unity's Vector3/2.sqrMagnitude()).
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

So would this still be better having a LengthSquared or does the dot multiplier work?

If so I'll try doing it.

Also, Matt:
Graf Zahl wrote:How does dot compare to length?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Extension of vector types is not so trivial because there are no wrapper structures for them on scripting side at the moment.
For this reason string type is easy to extend but vectors are not.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

A bigger problem is that vectors are not objects. In the VM they occupy 3 consecutive float registers when not part of a class or struct. I think the only viable option would be to create a Vector struct and add static functions to them
Matt

Post by Matt »

Major Cooke wrote:Also, Matt:
Graf Zahl wrote:How does dot compare to length?
I have no idea what is to be tested to answer that question.

Is this supposed to be a comparison of scripts, or a comparison of changes to native functions?
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

It may be easier and better rewrite root founding functions!?
Since there are A LOT of ways to found root, any degree, not just square root, using pen and papper, it can be found such, which provide highest performance in gzdoom.

Or solve it in rude way, just create table with all root of whole numbers from 1 to, say, 10000, and return it from table, as with sine/cosine functions. All intermediate numbers just round off to nearst whole. Yes, its hacky hack of the hackerman from hackyntown, but we here kill demons in darkness of hell, not build LHC or launch rockets to star with three cucumbers aboard(this was KSP if some one dont understand), so error in 0.00000000000000000000000000000001 will, and should, not be critical.
And root of higher numbers found like now, using some formula.

Or rewrite positioning system to use imagine numbers, which in square gives real number. But this silly.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Square root is already fully optimized. Graf took care of that a long time ago.

The original suggestions still stand, and I fully agree with them.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Then google translate dont translate OP post correctly to me, because I dont understand why someone need squared distance between two actors, if current root calculating function optimizated to limit.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Try Bing translate for a second opinion.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Apeirogon wrote:Then google translate dont translate OP post correctly to me, because I dont understand why someone need squared distance between two actors, if current root calculating function optimizated to limit.
Just because it's optimized doesn't mean it's free. The best way to optimize a function is to avoid calling it, so if it's possible to check something like x*x + y*y > l*l instead of sqrt(x*x + y*y) > l, the former will almost always be faster regardless of how optimized sqrt is (unless it's somehow cheaper than a multiply, and you aren't checking against a constant).

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”