MAPINFO: Persistent and transient maps

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Gez

MAPINFO: Persistent and transient maps

Post by Gez »

Something that the hub system doesn't cover is the possibility of having both persistent maps (you get back to them in the state you left them) and transient maps (reset each time you visit them) in the same cluster. Instead it's all or nothing: if you have a hub, every map will be persistent, if it's not a hub every map will be transient.

There are however many cases where you'd want to have a persistent map from which you access other maps that could be revisited "from scratch", or alternatively won't ever be revisited and so need not to be kept in savegames. Projects like Stronghold or Skulldash are based on an arcade-like concept where you can retry already-completed maps to improve your score on them. Projects like Blade of Armageddon use a hub to preserve the state of the allied HQ intermap, but you don't revisit old action maps.

I suggest a couple of MAPINFO map definition keywords: "persistent" would mark a map as needing to be kept in saves to preserve its state every time it is visited, regardless of cluster; and "transient" would to the contrary mark it as not being kept in saves after exiting it, so it is reset every time it is visited, even if it is in a hub.
Nash

Re: MAPINFO: Persistent and transient maps

Post by Nash »

You can mark maps inside a hub cluster with ForgetState so that it'll be transient, I believe... or am I missing something?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blame how the hub system was originally implemented for this lack of feature.
It may need some refactoring to allow more flexibility.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nash wrote: or am I missing something?
Looks like I did. There's also a RememberState though its description doesn't make much sense to me (if accurate, it is only useful for when you put ForgetState in a DefaultMap).
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Gez wrote:There's also a RememberState though its description doesn't make much sense to me (if accurate, it is only useful for when you put ForgetState in a DefaultMap).
For reference: https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/commit/c ... e21b63bebf

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”