apropos / find CCMD

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

apropos / find CCMD

Post by GFD »

One of my favourite things about using vkQuake, besides all the nice graphical stuff, is that it adds an "apropos" CCMD that lets you search for CCMDs and CVARs. The usefulness of this should be readily apparent, but I find it especially helpful when I've forgotten what prefix a CVAR uses and thus can't find it using tab auto-completion. "find" would also be a good name (and apparently vkQuake added it as an alias two days ago). Here's what it looks like in action:

[imgur]http://i.imgur.com/JczvhCx[/imgur]

Now, how best to display the results needs a bit of thinking. As pictured above, vkQuake displays one result per line, with the current value tacked onto the end. The way it does this is pretty messy, though, and I think GZDoom can do better. The two layout choices I see are:
a) using exactly the same barebones multi-column layout as the auto-completion results display, or
b) using a two-column display with CVAR/CCMD names in the first column, and then values (/ args?) in the second column, like this:

Code: Select all

gl_aalines                         "false"
gl_attachedlights                  "true"
gl_attenuate                       "-1"
gl_bandedswlight                   "false"
gl_billboard_faces_camera          "true"
While the latter isn't consistent with the auto-completion results display, it has the advantage of showing additional useful information. Additionally, if the apropos/find CCMD were to also search the values of all CVARs (/ the args of all CCMDs?), this layout would become necessary to show where exactly it found all the matches. While this layout also uses more lines, I feel this is acceptable considering that searches are generally very targeted, and thus won't often need to display as many results as auto-completion.

In any case, I think everyone can agree that:
• the green/blue colourization of CVARs/CCMDs should be kept consistent between both results displays, and
• the search results display should highlight all occurrences of the searched string in the results, like vkQuake does (probably using yellow instead).

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”