Expose Actor's Dialogue Script to ZScript

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

AFADoomer

Expose Actor's Dialogue Script to ZScript

Post by AFADoomer »

Right now the attached dialogue script (or even just the presence of an attached dialogue script) of an individual actor isn't accessible from ZScript.

I'd like to be able to identify actors that have a dialogue attached and spawn a "come talk to me" marker over their heads.

Use case: The Blade of Agony "action marker" exclamation points over NPCs are manually placed in the map, and are proximity based in their deactivation. Right now you can walk up to an NPC and not talk to them, but the marker will still dim. We want to automatically spawn the marker based on whether or not the actor has a dialogue configured, and to tie the marker deactivation to the conversation being entered (which should be easy already with checking the bInConversation flag). I just can't find a way to do the initial check right now.
Spoiler: Original flawed-approach request
Last edited by AFADoomer on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Expose Actor Conversation ID to ZScript

Post by Graf Zahl »

Your entire idea is flawed. What you want is not checking for conversation IDs but for attached dialogue scripts. The conversation ID is perfectly useless, every single item in Strife got one, for example, and they are also used as spawn IDs in dialogues, not just for IDing actors you can talk to.
AFADoomer

Re: Expose Actor Conversation ID to ZScript

Post by AFADoomer »

Ah, OK. Thanks.

I'll revise my first post and subject line, then.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”