Mod-defined music playlist

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

Mod-defined music playlist

Post by Nash »

Can there be a MAPINFO or perhaps SNDINFO options to let a mod specify a random set of music tracks to cycle through, at random?

I mentioned SNDINFO because I'd like to be able to define different sets of random music to cycle though, for different gameplay situations. Say, I want a "peaceful wandering set", and then a "battle set" for combat situations, and then a "night time set" for when the game's in-game time is at night.

Code: Select all

Playlist Music_DayTime
{
    d_DayTime01
    d_DayTime02
    d_DayTime03
}

Playlist Music_Battle
{
    d_Battle01
    d_Battle02
}

Playlist Music_NightTime
{
    d_Night01
    d_Night02
    d_Night03
}
... something like that, then I can use the various music-setting scripts to change the current music-set to whatever I want, for example SetMusic("Music_NightTime").

I'd really like this, as a songwriter myself, I'd very much enjoy being able to write different pieces of music that would cycle at random to make the audio experience more dynamic, instead of the same song looping over and over.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Mod-defined music playlist

Post by Caligari87 »

It's a convenient idea, but what's to prevent you from just doing the same thing with ACS or ZScript? Basically it's just randomly selecting from a list.

Granted I haven't used the music-setting features much so there's probably some limitation I'm not aware of... If so, then a better suggestion may be to target those limitations?

8-)
Nash

Re: Mod-defined music playlist

Post by Nash »

How would I keep track of a music's position, to know when to stop one song and play the next? Using playsim data to keep track of this stuff sounds like [Don't Do That].

What if I pause the game or open up the menu? The variables I'd use to keep track of a song's position would be frozen, but the music will continue to play, and the entire effect would be broken.

To clarify, I'm not wanting to only have a random music be selected upon first entry... that is easy and can already be done even with good ol' ACS.

What I want is for the songs to cycle randomly, one after the other, as long as the player is in the level.

Similar to games like Minecraft, Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”