Peg walls to Map Height

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

RockstarRaccoon

Peg walls to Map Height

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Working on a new map (hopefully the last new one for a while) and realizing that, with the method I use for outdoor areas, aligning textures, and determining where height-0 should be, I'd really like the ability to default a texture's alignment to the MAP's idea of 0 instead of having to peg it to the floor or ceiling all the time. That way, in this map where 0 is the ground floor, I don't have to screw with alignment and pegging every time I do something on a wall that needs to align to the ground floor...

How hard would this be to implement in a future version of the code? Maybe you can add it along with that front-floor pegging thing I asked for?
Xaser

Re: Peg walls to Map Height

Post by Xaser »

For the sake of throwing out another use case for this: suppose you have a split-door that opens using [wiki]Pillar_Open[/wiki] -- the door tracks will end up either following the ceiling XOR the floor, which is generally undesirable. The traditional solution has been making a sector behind the tracks so they're 2-sided lines, but being able to set a flag peg a texture at z=0 would make this trivial.
RockstarRaccoon

That's a really good point too.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doom 64 has something that allows to peg texture to neighboring walls.
12.7.2 Upper Unpegging
Behavior with upper and lower unpegging in Doom 64 is still the same than that of the original Doom however, Doom 64 has slightly changed how upper unpegging works for single sided walls. Flagging a solid-single sided wall to be upper unpegged will cause the row offset of the texture to snap to the nearest texture unit which is useful for aligning.
There's also this:
12.7.4 Middle Texture Unpegging
Doom 64 added a new flag (0x800) to unpeg middle sidedef textures. This flag is used only once in the entire game and can be seen in the secret exit in Map 12 (Altar of Pain). This flag also blocks projectiles but not tracer-based projectiles.
I'm not exactly sure what it actually does.
RockstarRaccoon

I'm also having issues with 3D Floors this might solve: I want the Plasma Beam and ZHexen's fire weapons to melt/burn 3D-floor walls from the top down without them "sliding" into the ground, but I can never seem to get it to stick properly. I'm wondering if this might fix that...
RockstarRaccoon

Bumping this because there seemed to be interest from other mappers and I could really use it in these DM01 and DM02 maps I made for BoA right now...

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”