ADD Support for Nocturne in Yellow IWAD (PK3)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

WilliamMacau

ADD Support for Nocturne in Yellow IWAD (PK3)

Post by WilliamMacau »

Hey, is it possible to add Nocturne in Yellow's NIY.PK3 as another IWAD? It doesn't need DOOM2 to play.

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/657

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypwjjsfpnlvpf ... w.zip?dl=0

Review

Screenshots of GZDOOM running Nocturne in Yellow ( gzdoom.exe -iwad NIY.PK3 )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-M9J ... 21EXzlnbHM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-M9J ... mJhd2ltMms
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-M9J ... 1ZoWHhHdVU
_mental_

Re: ADD Support for Nocturne in Yellow IWAD (PK3)

Post by _mental_ »

Does everything work correctly in GZDoom? As far as I know Nocturne in Yellow uses some GLOOME features that are not present in GZDoom.
WilliamMacau

Post by WilliamMacau »

Shows a lot of script warnings and menudefs erros in the console... But can't it be "scriptfied" to be compatible like recent versions of Gzdoom do to most of the games?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

GLOOME adds new features to the ACS scripting engine. It also has features that conflict with or are differently named from features that have since been added to GZDoom. There are also features in GLOOME that it's safe to say will never, EVER be officially added to the mainline engine, full stop.

So, no.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The errors on startup are mostly just from copying stuff together that contained common DECORATE mistakes, which only get flagged as warnings since 2.3

The menu seems to have some problems, it is quite broken in GZDoom.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If there's a way to build compatibility work-ups in GZDoom to at least get it to a runnable and playable point, then it seems feasible we could support this, but honestly with the issues here it's easier to file-13 this.

Not to say it's a bad game - but honestly Gloome went in a whole different direction and truly epitomized the meaning of "fork" in some potentially dangerous ways.

I will download this and look at the errors. I might be able to PR some Gloome features back to GZDoom if they do not conflict with GZDoom's own moving forward. Do note that the shrine mechanic (that I saw in Icarus's video) will definitely not be ported - I have no plans whatsoever to cripple the save system to make that work. Also if this takes too long or too much effort, that might also kill the effort towards making this work.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Since the author (TerminusEst13) is quite active here, it's probably worth pulling him into the discussion.

[EDIT] I sent him a quick PM pointing him here, just in case it's of interest one way or another.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So I'm trying this out. So far it seems to work, but I haven't gotten far in the mod.

I figured out that the shrine is simply an autosave mechanic. I should've thought of that. :P However - there is still an issue with that - somehow he managed to remove "Save Game" from the menu. I understand that's part of the mod, but as far as I remember Graf intentionally coded the menu system to specifically not allow that to happen.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The reason why I never tried to backport stuff from Gloome is very simple: There is no merge history, features were selectively picked and added, it is virtually impossible to do a meaningful comparison.

There's also quite a bit of stuff that clashes with newer ZDoom features.

@Rachael:

Of course I cannot prevent anyone from removing the save menu entry, but the actual save menu still works. The whole thing exhibits quite an amount of glitches due to the differences between engines.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:There's also quite a bit of stuff that clashes with newer ZDoom features. [...] The whole thing exhibits quite an amount of glitches due to the differences between engines.
I think the ultimate question is can those differences be reconciled to the point where this can be officially supported? The answer to that will be the same answer to whether or not this can be done - and whether to close this thread.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since comparing Gloome with the GZDoom repo is quite problematic due to the bad management I don't think this will happen, I'm still checking but it's very time consuming to find a good reference commit.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The whole thing exhibits quite an amount of glitches due to the differences between engines.
If you would be willing to actually list them for me, I could take a look at fixing them and making an iwad version.
I'm not sure how useful it would be, given the game was a novelty for a contest, but I'd be happy to give it a shot regardless.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The biggest issues I noticed were with the menu. There was some broken episode menu in-between and the load/save menu had some parts where the checkerboard was displayed. I didn't play long enough to check for gameplay glitches, but that will mostly depend on whether you used some Gloome-specific features in the scripts.
WilliamMacau

Post by WilliamMacau »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:The whole thing exhibits quite an amount of glitches due to the differences between engines.
If you would be willing to actually list them for me, I could take a look at fixing them and making an iwad version.
I'm not sure how useful it would be, given the game was a novelty for a contest, but I'd be happy to give it a shot regardless.
Yes, it would be useful :shock: : Like The Adventures of Square, like Harmony or Action DOOM 2 - Great showcases of what can be made with original ideas, custom resources and this versatile DOOM source port, that is ZDOOM/GZDOOM :thumb:
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I didn't play long enough to check for gameplay glitches, but that will mostly depend on whether you used some Gloome-specific features in the scripts.
Not that I can remember, which Marrub actually fussed at me a bit about. I did a stream run a while ago of the game in GZDoom and it ran without any major issues that I could see.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”