A_Raise/A_Lower NOINTERPOLATION Flag

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

A_Raise/A_Lower NOINTERPOLATION Flag

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:26 pm

The last of my "things that cause problems for modders should be opt-out" suggestions for now.

For weapons with customized/extended select/deselect animations, it looks very stupid going from a smoothed motion into "lower-FPS" animations.

Note: For parameter ordering sanity, I think this should be added after a potential speed modifier parameter (assuming such a parameter is feasible).
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Re: A_Raise/A_Lower NOINTERPOLATION Flag

Postby Leonard2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 am

Since you mention that your weapon transitions between smooth and "lower-FPS" animation, would both these suggestions solve your problem in a more general way?
Leonard2

Re: A_Raise/A_Lower NOINTERPOLATION Flag

Postby NeuralStunner » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:20 am

I admit this was done more for completeness, if I were to use the weapon flag to suppress smoothing on these particular weapons, I would leave it on. (Switching a flag on and off like that for a cosmetic effect is pretty yucky, as Xaser would probably say.)

Also I don't mind the effect on actual bobbing. Vanilla Doom's chainsaw idles 4 tics at a time, which makes bobbing look awful. ZDoom has had this fixed for ages, and it looks much better. >35FPS bobbing even moreso, same as with uncapping 3D rendering.

But something about the raise/lower moving slooooowly in an absolutely straight line already looks questionable, and having it pulled out to 70+FPS makes my eyes go "nope". Stacking up 4 A_Raise/Lower calls per tic and having that smoothed doesn't even look bad (in the context of a weapon that should animate smoothly), but doing this to such a slow animation (which moves in a completely straight line) affects me a lot like gratuitous motion blur. If there were any kind of swing/arc like the idle bobbing, I don't think it would be a problem at all.
NeuralStunner
not actually a catgirl

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions