[Added] A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Postby Velma Massledotch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:35 am

What says on the tin. This is for storing local data in the ini and nothing more. Obviously it's not supposed to work with multiplayer. I'm requesting this because server CVars have a buffer overflow with long strings and user CVars have a length limit. This suggestion seems to be the only real solution here that doesn't involve splitting the data into multiple CVars like I'm doing right now. That approach works, but for how long nobody knows. I'd rather get rid of such workarounds.
Velma Massledotch

Re: A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Surely if this could be implemented the limits on the actually-supposed-to-be-synced cvars would have long been removed by now?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Postby m8f » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am

PR to extend nosave cvars to bypass network code: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/1016

nosave cvars are meant to be used as a storage for statistical data that doesn't affect gameplay. That's why this data isn't saved to the savefile in the first place. Therefore, there is no point in sending this data over network. It would have no meaning on machines other than local.
m8f
dreamer

Discord: m8f#0629
Github ID: mmaulwurff

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions