List top ten thinkers like the ACS profiler

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

List top ten thinkers like the ACS profiler

Post by Nash »

Hey, I have a problem with a very high think time in my project (stat think shows 1 - 2 MS) and the problem is, I have a TON of subsystems running and it'd take ages for me to find who exactly is responsible for this high think time. I'd appreciate a list of "top 10 highest thinkers" or something like that, like the ACS profiler, which shows who're the highest thinking thinkers currently running. This will make narrowing down my problem a much more pleasant experience.
AFADoomer

Re: List top ten thinkers like the ACS profiler

Post by AFADoomer »

Seconding this!

You can get the think time for every actor class with 'profilethinkers true'... But that's still not friendly to use when your map is complex (I usually dump the output to a log file and copy/paste into Excel to split the strings and sort by think time). Maybe even just an extension of the profilethinkers handling to sort by think time?
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

Thirding this.

It'd be nice if this were possible as well. Not much else to really add in terms of opinions, but it would be nice to have this for trying to optimize mods like Aetherius, etc which have a lot of moving parts w/ actors. :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is already the 'profilethinkers' CVAR. Set that and the engine will measure think time per thinker class for the next frame.
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Lord Misfit »

Graf Zahl wrote:There is already the 'profilethinkers' CVAR. Set that and the engine will measure think time per thinker class for the next frame.
Actually, that's what I already use, but it doesn't order the list based on how much time each actor takes, which might have been what Nash was asking about when he mentioned "Top 10 Thinkers", etc and also what I was more interested in. "profilethinkers" is a boolean, not so much a command with sorting options. :\
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yes, if the profilethinkers printout is sorted by think time, that would be more useful. Eyeballing the list to find the result with the highest think time is not an efficient use of IRL time...
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Yes, trying to find the worst thinker in the console when you have 300+ actor classes active is not fun...

For a more minimal-impact "quick fix", maybe color coding the think times could be an option? Say, anything over 0.01ms is yellow, over 0.1 ms is orange, over 1ms is red? Kind of arbitrary, and I assume that it would change based off of a person's hardware, but it would still at least draw the eye to a smaller subset of thinkers that need to be looked at.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”