wall texture list for gzdoom

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

wall texture list for gzdoom

Postby Martha Dockleman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:28 pm

I am working on a full graphics replacement for Doom 2 which has alot of progress and only two things left. Flats and wall textures (my extractor calls them patches and there's about 850 total in the original wads). I'm half done with the flats. I got through all the technical hurdles but these walls/patches are the hardest for me.

Is there a utility or command or website somewhere that lists these textures? I'm aware they don't match the original names if you want HD versions. I don't want to have to use Doom HD as an example, as it's VERY difficult to compare those to the original textures I obtained through the extractor, and that mod may not have a complete list! It was useful, however, in helping me figure out how to display the step textures (done with that)!

It would be REALLY helpful is there was somewhere I could go to compare the original textures with the updated list! I installed Slade 3 and Ultimate Doom Builder just to see if I could find anything. I'm not experienced with either, as I mostly just do the art stuff in photoshop, but I didn't find anything so far that would help despite that I heard they work well with gzdoom. Is there anything I've missed? I'm not a level designer.

All my graphics go into PK3's as PNG. So far I have used all the original names except for the step textures.

Writing this late so I'll go to sleep and hopefully I will find something tomorrow.

I hope you guys are having a good year so far.
Martha Dockleman

Re: wall texture list for gzdoom

Postby ramon.dexter » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:02 am

It would be better to teach your extractor differences between pathces, textures and flats. Mixing these together would bring you a lot of headache.

Or, much better, extract those manually using slade3.
ramon.dexter
rudebwoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gez » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:04 am

The trick about the wall textures is that they are not, actually, the patches. Instead, they are built from the patches.

Let's take, for example, BIGDOOR1. You can find the patch DOOR1 and say that that's it -- but that's not it. It's only the center part of the texture. More subtle is BIGDOOR7. It seems to be W105_1, but actually isn't, exactly. The alignment is slightly different. For a more dramatic example, look at BROWN144: a big 128x128 texture, should be easy to find, right? No, it's made out of seven copies of four patches (WALL00_5, 6, 7, and 8), each of which are 16x144. Or, say, the switch textures. Except for SW1SKULL and SW2SKULL (RW48_4 and RW48_2 respectively), they're all made of at least two different patches, one for the wall and another for the switch.

Now the good news is that SLADE is able to export wall textures directly as PNGs. So you could open Doom2.wad in SLADE, open the texture editor, mass-select all the textures, then right-click, export to->PNG files. After that you have a bunch of files that have the names of the Doom II textures and their proper height, width, and aspect. (Always a useful reference for working out a functional replacement.) And you can get a text list easily by a command like "dir *.png > texturelist.txt".
Gez

Postby Enjay » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:09 am

Also, of potential interest, might be Slade's ability to convert the TEXTURE1 lump into a GZDoom-style TEXTURES text lump. In Slade, right click on TEXTURE1 and pick "convert to TEXTURES".

Doing the above will create a text lump that you can then export and then use your favourite text editor to search through the definitions.

For example, the BROWN144 that Gez mentioned looks like this:

Code: Select allExpand view
Texture "BROWN144", 128, 128
{
   Patch "WALL00_5", 0, 0
   Patch "WALL00_6", 16, 0
   Patch "WALL00_7", 32, 0
   Patch "WALL00_8", 48, 0
   Patch "WALL00_6", 64, 0
   Patch "WALL00_6", 112, -16
   Patch "WALL00_7", 96, -1
   Patch "WALL00_6", 80, 0
}

So you can see which patches are used and their offsets within the texture.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Velma Hivingfoot » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:28 am

Thanks guys. I am the author of this OP.

You know that feeling of misconception when you haven't opened a box to know what is inside?

In my research yesterday I found out that textures are handled in this specific way as a form of compression to save on resources and space.

This is my second project. Somehow I managed to do the first without any help, but I'd been working on it on and off for over over a decade, and finally released it in August. I've asked questions but never in appropriate places.

I managed to get the list of texture names and that is highly beneficial. I am still figuring out what to do with it.
Velma Hivingfoot

Postby Enjay » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:48 am

Velma Hivingfoot wrote:In my research yesterday I found out that textures are handled in this specific way as a form of compression to save on resources and space.

Yup "back in the day" disk space was at much more of a premium than these days and saving a few KB here and there added up to what amounted to relatively big savings for a game that was distributed via floppy disks, or over phone-line modems and was installed on to tiny hard drives. Being able to use the same image in several different textures, rather than making a new image for each texture, was quite a saving. I still think that the Episode 1 shareware was the first magazine cover disk (remember them?) I got that actually needed more than one floppy disks to hold all its data though!

Of course, in the final release of The Ultimate Doom, they messed up and included a full two copies of all the sounds, thereby inflating the size of the IWAD by quite a bit. :trippy: At least by that stage distribution was tending to move towards CDs and modems had got faster.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Velma Hivingfoot » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:39 pm

Oh yes, I remember!

But BOY! Those texture files were the key! I have the ENTIRE Doom 2 directory with the SAME names as the HD mod I used an an example! YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I didn't understand at all how to execute the earlier helpful suggestions. Some thinking with that KEY file and now I'm in HEAVEN. This amount of stress and irritation of being unable to proceed makes me pretty D*** happy right now. :D

WHAT A RELIEF!

I've never worked directly with the WAD files themselves (besides extraction with automated utilities). But desperate times..... And once I figured it out. Ya, it's almost as easy as the automated extractor created on this website. It was pretty awesome otherwise! :D

I am D2ModPlayer (Wolf 3D HD remaster). But PLEASE, call me Velma Hivingfoot, a fitting name for a beautiful lady hobbit. ;)

Now that my mind is cleared up, I have emotional capability to talk retro PC tech stuff.

I remember punching wholes with a paper puncher trying to write files on both sides of the disk! I remember spending summer vacations with Atari magazines typing in all the games and playing them. I remember Parker Brothers Atari Chess where I had to wait 10 minutes so the computer could beat me after actually studying the game a bit. I grew up with PacMan, Qix, and later Jump Man. Atari 800 XL. I bought a 2600 dollar 486 with a 420MB HDD, an SX2 50 mhz processor I later tweaked to be a DX2, and then later made into a Pentium 6 upgrade. It had local bus video with at least 1MB of dedicated RAM for video processing that allowed me to run DOS games until they were no more, and many years after in the bargain bin! :D Later I upgraded from 4MB of RAM to 16MB! :D

Thanks for your help guys. Several of your comments were KEY. I just had to figure out the jigsaw puzzle in my mind's eye. I will try to pay you back with Hobbit coins. ;)
Velma Hivingfoot

Return to Assets (and other stuff)