Hires sky

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Hires sky

Postby Kzer-Za » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 am

What needs to be done for a sky texture (not skybox) to be displayed properly if it has higher resolution than vanilla? If I just name it e.g. SKY1 and place it in HIRES folder, then its kind of "squished", meaning that its upper edge is much closer to the horizon than the upper edge of the non-upscaled texture.
Kzer-Za

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Hires sky

Postby Kazudra » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:15 am

Kzer-Za wrote:What needs to be done for a sky texture (not skybox) to be displayed properly if it has higher resolution than vanilla? If I just name it e.g. SKY1 and place it in HIRES folder, then its kind of "squished", meaning that its upper edge is much closer to the horizon than the upper edge of the non-upscaled texture.

Make sure the dimensions of the hi-res version are divisible to the original to prevent squishing.
Kazudra

Re: Hires sky

Postby Kzer-Za » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:58 am

Hm, as far as I can tell, the dimensions are the same as the original: 1.28. That's the original ratio for Heretic, according to this: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky. It says that Heretic and Hexen sky textures were 256 x 200.

I had to save the file in worse quality to upload it here, but the resolution is the same as what I try to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kzer-Za

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Assets (and other stuff)