pk3 fonts to ttf

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

pk3 fonts to ttf

Postby FatoeMan0411 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 am

hey so ive looked all over on how to turn pk3 fonts from zdoom into ttf files
and i found this site but couldnt find it on here either so uhh how would one do such a thing?
:D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FatoeMan0411

Re: pk3 fonts to ttf

Postby Gez » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:07 am

There's no way to have the conversion done automatically, sorry.

TrueType fonts are vector-based, so the shapes of the glyphs are described as points, lines, and quadratic Bezier curves. Whereas whichever font format is actually found in that pk3 (a pk3 is just a zip file; there's no such thing as pk3 font, it'd be like talking about a zip font) is a bitmap font format, meaning the glyphs are described as pixels. To convert from bitmap to vector, you need to actually interpret the data, which requires intelligence. A simple automated conversion will most likely give you crappy results.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you have to do it the hard way: manually. Here's a couple of programs you can use: FontForge is free, while FontCreator only offers a free trial. I have never used either, so I don't have a specific recommendation or any sort of usage tips, sorry.
Gez

Postby FatoeMan0411 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:48 am

thanks gez!
didnt need it doing automatic cuz doing it the hard way always has better results if u put the work in lol
ill check out those programs
FatoeMan0411

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 am

Is this of any use to you? It looks similar to the font that you attached and would save you a lot of work:

https://www.fonts4free.net/amazdoom-font.html
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby FatoeMan0411 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:51 am

Enjay wrote:Is this of any use to you? It looks similar to the font that you attached and would save you a lot of work:

https://www.fonts4free.net/amazdoom-font.html

hmm i already looked into free fonts online but i really want to get those og fonts into ttf form
maybe might put them on here when theyre done (if anyone knows if thats allowed)
FatoeMan0411

Postby wildweasel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 am

If you're up for some manual labor, you might be able to reconstruct the fonts using Fontstruct, which lets you "build" a vector font out of building blocks. There's no automatic way to do this, though, and you must realize that the resulting font cannot be full-color by definition.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby FatoeMan0411 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:16 pm

wildweasel wrote:If you're up for some manual labor, you might be able to reconstruct the fonts using Fontstruct, which lets you "build" a vector font out of building blocks. There's no automatic way to do this, though, and you must realize that the resulting font cannot be full-color by definition.

oh damn i did not realize that...
im gonna have to look into other methods/file types then
very good observation, probably explains why i havent been able to find them online :lol:
FatoeMan0411

Return to Assets (and other stuff)