Solved - Articulating 3D Models

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Solved - Articulating 3D Models

Postby Moebius » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:42 pm

1. I'd like to make an articulating 3D model arm assembly pick up another 3D model. This is what the MFCompCell Filler in Doom 3 Mars City Underground does. The only thing I can get working is using ActorMover and Interpolation Points on a static model to move back and forth from point A to point B, waiting at each point before moving back. I also got the Fingers to lower/raise/lower with the Cylinder. But after a few minutes you start to see things going out of sync.
2. Pieces:
a. Base - upper piece, tracks along higher rail.
b. Arm - Upper joint with Base and lower joint with Hand.
c. Hand - Upper joint with Arm, Fingers travel up/down within Hand.
d. Fingers - Travel up/down within Hand and "grab/release" Cylinder
e. Cylinder - Either at rest in lower position or lifted up/down by Fingers.
3. Everything is at station A.
4. The fingers extend down from the hand, grab the cylinder and lift it up, then put it back down and retract.
5. The whole lower assy then articulates up 90 degrees.
6. Then everything, except the cylinder, travel along a rail to station B, articulate down and repeat the process.
7. Then everything moves back to station A.

Last edited by Moebius on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moebius

Re: Articulating 3D Models

Postby Moebius » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:23 pm

Can anyone at least point me in some direction as to how to animate a group of MD3 models?

I have the models and skins.
I can position them relative to each other in my map, individually, and make all of them move back and forth, but that's all.
I want them to move about on 3 different axis. How do I define these?
What application(s) will I need to create the animations?
How do I insert the animation into my map? Are these the "FRAMEINDEX" I've seen in other posts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Moebius

Postby Moebius » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:25 am

I see people referring to Blender, so I downloaded it (v3.0.1) and watched a bunch of videos. I imported a different set of models into Blender and was able to do this animation. I can't seem to be able to get it to render correctly. All I get is a black video.

The assembly has no bones or constraints. Everything just moves up/down relative to each other. I haven't figured out how to make bones or what to do with them. Probable have to wrap my models around them some how. I also haven't figured out cameras or lights. Maybe why I get a black movie.

Before I spend a ton of hours on this, is this a beginning to a viable method to make 3D models move in Doom 2? Actor Movers and Interpolation Points can quickly become super messy. Using UDB I was able to make this 3D model assembly mimic the Blender animation, but it starts to get out of sync almost immediately and after 10 cycles it's quite noticeable.

What's the next step, if there is one?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UWhtki ... sp=sharing
Moebius

Postby Moebius » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:27 pm

I've been learning Blender and have been able to import OBJ models, animate them, and export to MD3.
Moebius

Return to Assets (and other stuff)