Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Postby DamTheGreat » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:33 am

I bought a standard Shuttertsock license a while ago for something unrelated. And recently when I got inspired to continue working on my map pack, I got the idea that I could use that license to get images for textures and sprites (I edit them with GIMP to fit in the game, of course), but I was wondering if that's acceptable. Does the standard Shutterstock license cover this kind of use?
DamTheGreat

Discord: ☠DamTheGreat☠#7201
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Postby wildweasel » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:23 am

A quick skim over the Shutterstock License Agreement would certainly indicate that you can:
A STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images:

As a digital reproduction, including on websites, in online advertising, in social media, in mobile advertising, mobile "apps", software, (...)

Which I'd assume applies as long as you've actually paid for the image and aren't trying to airbrush out the watermark. ;)
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: Is it okay to use images downloaded from Shutterstock?

Postby DamTheGreat » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 am

wildweasel wrote:A quick skim over the Shutterstock License Agreement would certainly indicate that you can:
A STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE grants you the right to use Images:

As a digital reproduction, including on websites, in online advertising, in social media, in mobile advertising, mobile "apps", software, (...)

Which I'd assume applies as long as you've actually paid for the image and aren't trying to airbrush out the watermark. ;)

Alright, thanks. And yes I did pay for it, besides my GIMP skills are WAAAY too low to even think about attempting to remove the watermark.
DamTheGreat

Discord: ☠DamTheGreat☠#7201
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Assets (and other stuff)