How do I do a widescreen TITLEPIC etc?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

How do I do a widescreen TITLEPIC etc?

Postby MartinHowe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm

I am trying to create widescreen compatible images for a mod I'm working on. but need it to play nicely with resolutions other than 16:9. Presumably the new widescreen support in GZDoom has some way of knowing which part of the picture to use and what do do with it? Is there some sort of configuration in a script that needs to be set? Please can anyone explain or point to some documentation I can learn from?
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Re: How do I do a widescreen TITLEPIC etc?

Postby Gez » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:12 am

If the image is wider, but not taller, than 320x200, it gets scaled up normally and centered.
Gez

Postby MartinHowe » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:26 am

Thanks Gez; I guess we really need something from the devs covering all the edge cases, unless I want to spend hours delving the source code.; my images are 1280x720 (16:9) but I understand the widescreen ones in GZDoom are much bigger.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Gez » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:31 am

Yeah, the widescreen support only works out of the box for 200-tall images. With 720 I suppose it'll use the old "fit to screen" method.

Something I wonder about (but haven't bothered to try) is to have a "dummy" titlescreen that's 426x200 (for 16:9 corrected ratio) and the real TITLESCREEN in the hires replacement namespace. Hopefully it'd get the behavior of the 426x200 titlescreen but with the high-res image.
Gez

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 am

Gez wrote:Something I wonder about (but haven't bothered to try) is to have a "dummy" titlescreen that's 426x200 (for 16:9 corrected ratio) and the real TITLESCREEN in the hires replacement namespace. Hopefully it'd get the behavior of the 426x200 titlescreen but with the high-res image.

That does indeed seem to work.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to Assets (and other stuff)