Blade of Agony | Need help w/ translation (update 25.04.21)

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Tormentor667

Blade of Agony | Need help w/ translation (update 25.04.21)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Dear Doomers,

we are reaching the final phase of development for the mod. It’s fully playable, technically complete and we can’t wait to release it. At the moment, an internal beta testing has begun, public beta testing will be a thing soon but before we can start with that, we need support when it comes to localizing/translating the game.

The English phrases are finished and completed. What we need is help with the translation for
  • Russian (100% finished)
  • Spanish (87% finished)
  • German (100% finished)
  • French (100% finished)
  • Portuguese (44% finished)
  • Turkish (86% finished)
  • Italian (100% finished)
  • Czech (100% finished)
  • Polish (100% finished)
So if you are interested in helping us and if you are used to simple google spreadsheet collaborations, please join us, to speed up the development and help us releasing Blade of Agony :)

Cheers, Torm
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:04 am, edited 21 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Blade of Agony | Help with translating the game

Post by Graf Zahl »

Turkish? I have the bad feeling that this will become a problem - in all the time GZDoom had localization, nobody ever volunteered to do that language so the entire engine side text would be missing.

For German I may be able to help you so where can I find the text?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I never knew that, but I guess I should have checked GZDooms localization status before. The reason for turkish is, that a few turkish translators volunteered to localize Blade of Agony also to this language so I thought "Why not?" Not checking GZDoom's status on this was not the most clever choice. If these people are interested in a GZDoom localization to turkish, should I just point them to the proper thread?

Regarding the german translation, you'd be more than welcome - thanks alot for that. The spreadsheet can be found here, I'd give you access to this, all I need is a proper email adress from you :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That link only goes to the Google sheets home page, i.e. the list of my own files.

For Turkish it'd make sense if those translators also handled the interface parts of the engine itself, otherwise it'd be a very inconsistent experience.
Maybe someone is motivated enough to do a full translation. ;)

But there's one issue with Turkish that may pose a problem: In Turkish there's 2 i's, one with dot and one without. Unfortunately these letters have different capitalization semantics than i in all other Latin script languages and there's absolutely no good way to handle this in a generic fashion - to do this right some work on the engine is needed if texts to be displayed with all-caps fonts.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I am sorry, got the wrong link, here is the right one.

Regarding the turkish translators, I will point them to the ZDoom localization thread. They are professional translators according to their application, I am sure they can be of good use for ZDoom if they are interested in doing the localizations.

For the Turkish 'i's, I absolutely have no idea what programming background is needed here and what this means for the translation at all. Isn't it that each character has a specific ISO number that determines which symbol has to be used as for all the other languages?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem is simply that Turkish uses the regular ASCII i and I but applies different capitalization rules to them, so the current code would mangle any Turkish text containing a small i (with dot). In all other languages it gets capitalized to an I (without dot), but in Turkish it gets capitalized to İ (with dot.)
I already had my fun with that when translating mobile games to Turkish in the past.
Greek is actually even weirder with its accents but since it uses a unique script, the rules do not clash with other languages.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Okay, I get the problem. But isn't something like this simply solvable by telling the engine to use the capital i with a dot in case the language is turkish?

But anyway, back to topic: Does the second link work and do you need something from me? Afaik, you can't work on the sheet yet until I gave permission through your associated google mail, can you?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I sent a request, didn't you get it?
Unknown_Horse

Post by Unknown_Horse »

Tormentor667 wrote:Dear Doomers,

we are reaching the final phase of development for the mod. It’s fully playable, technically complete and we can’t wait to release it. At the moment, an internal beta testing has begun, public beta testing will be a thing soon but before we can start with that, we need support when it comes to localizing/translating the game.

The English phrases are finished and completed. What we need is help with the translation for
  • Russian (almost done)
  • Spanish
  • German
  • French
  • Turkish
  • Italian
So if you are interested in helping us and if you are used to simple google spreadsheet collaborations, please join us, to speed up the development and help us releasing Blade of Agony :)

Cheers, Torm

I would like to do the spanish translation.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I sent a request, didn't you get it?
Unfortunately not. Can you send me your Google Mail to info@realm667.com? I will then send you an invitation (only I can access the info@ in case you worry).
Unknown_Horse wrote:I would like to do the spanish translation.
Thanks for the offer, can you to the same as requested from Graf Zahl? :)
Unknown_Horse

Post by Unknown_Horse »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:I sent a request, didn't you get it?
Unfortunately not. Can you send me your Google Mail to info@realm667.com? I will then send you an invitation (only I can access the info@ in case you worry).
Unknown_Horse wrote:I would like to do the spanish translation.
Thanks for the offer, can you to the same as requested from Graf Zahl? :)
I sent you a request.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Got it, also got yours as well Graf Zahl
Tormentor667

Re: Blade of Agony | Help with translating the game (updated

Post by Tormentor667 »

Updated the first post with percentages finished per language. It would be cool to have at least German, French, Italian and Spanish finished :)
Tormentor667

Re: Blade of Agony | Need help w/ translation (update 20.12.

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yet another update after 2 weeks. We still need some support for german, polish and portuguese, all the other languages are running smoothly so far :)
Tormentor667

Re: Blade of Agony | Need help w/ translation (update 06.01.

Post by Tormentor667 »

Good news: 4 languages are totally translated! If you still want to contribute, please drop us a line :)

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”