Aligning voxel graphics properly?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Aligning voxel graphics properly?

Postby Angel Soul » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:33 am

Howdy Doomguys/girls,

I have created a set of voxel graphics (using MagicaVoxel) for Officer D's mod called "Doom Exp" for Doom 2. Now, we have encountered a truly peculiar problem.
You see, all of my voxel graphics, except for two, show with one of their axis' flipped, in-game. They show wit htheir "face to the floor",
rather than "standing up". Now... in MagicaVoxel, the program which I use, they ARE "standing up". Officer D himself has been making voxel graphics,
and we both are confused about what may be causing this. If anyone could please assist in this matter, I'd be mighty grateful.

How it looks in MagicaVoxel
bild_2020-11-23_143032.png

How it looks in-game
meh.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angel Soul

Discord: Angel Soul#4227
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Aligning voxel graphics properly?

Postby Cherno » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

VOXELDEF -> Scale or AngleOffset property.
Cherno

Postby Angel Soul » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:22 am

Cherno wrote:VOXELDEF -> Scale or AngleOffset property.

I relayed your message to Officer D. He said that it affects rotation on 1 axis, and not the one he needs.
Are there any ways to change offsets/rotation of it?
Angel Soul

Postby Cherno » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm

If it's flipped, you should just be able to set the relevant axis to a negative value. Also makere sure that it's not the acto that is causing this, by having it's scale, roll, or pitch changed.
Cherno

Postby Angel Soul » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Cherno wrote:If it's flipped, you should just be able to set the relevant axis to a negative value. Also makere sure that it's not the acto that is causing this, by having it's scale, roll, or pitch changed.

Could you please explain? :) And show an example? The voxes we try to put in are, for some reason, pitched 90 degree angle. Save for two. Which for some reason show properly. I can make voxels in MagicaVoxel, but I know nothing of putting them in the game.
Angel Soul

Postby Officer D » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks for trying to help!

I don't believe the problem can be resolved with VOXELDEF, since AngleOffset doesn't seem to have XYZ value options. I need it to rotate around the pivot on the Y axis. It seems to me, to be an export bug from MagicaVoxel. Loading the file into Slab6 shows it lying flat down instead of standing up. Unfortunately I cannot rotate the model around the pivot in Slab6. Other models done in the same way, imported without any problems and "no" there aren't any actor properties messing with the pitch or roll. Only scale but that does not change rotations.
Officer D

Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Officer D » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:58 am

Ok, I think I figured out why it happened. There is a rotation function in the world view and in the model view. It turns out, the rotation in the world view does not work when exporting it to Slab. Models must be rotated in the model view.
Officer D

Discord: https://discord.gg/jr7yCvY
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/officer_d82
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Angel Soul » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:36 am

Cherno wrote:If it's flipped, you should just be able to set the relevant axis to a negative value. Also makere sure that it's not the acto that is causing this, by having it's scale, roll, or pitch changed.

We still haven't got it working properly. Even though we tried actually flipping the whole model.
Angel Soul

Return to Assets (and other stuff)