Doom Builder 2 (ZDoom) Help: Monster Exits

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Doom Builder 2 (ZDoom) Help: Monster Exits

Postby DijonMoz » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:12 am

If anyone could help me with a problem that would be great. I am trying to make a vanilla episode for Doom 1, and I'm using Doom Builder 2 in the ZDoom (Doom in Doom Format) style. I would like to know how to make it to where the death of a monster triggers the end of the episode, like with the Cyberdemon in Tower of Babel and the Spider Mastermind in Dis. If anyone could tell me how to do that that would be fantastic.
DijonMoz

Re: Doom Builder 2 (ZDoom) Help: Monster Exits

Postby SanyaWaffles » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:38 pm

You'd probably need to define that in MAPINFO for the specific map you are using.

Is there a specific reason you're using such an ancient map format though?
SanyaWaffles
Now I've awoken, and I'm taking back control.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby DijonMoz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:57 pm

SanyaWaffles wrote:You'd probably need to define that in MAPINFO for the specific map you are using.

Is there a specific reason you're using such an ancient map format though?

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff. I this map format and thought it would be fun as a Doom fan to try and make an episode of my own. Is there a better thing I could be using? If so, I would love to hear about it.
DijonMoz

Postby SanyaWaffles » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:59 pm

GZDoom supports Doom, Hexen and UDMF maps.

UDMF gets rid of alot of the limits of the original two formats. Namely you have the action specials of Hexen format, plus alot of the oddities of the Hexen format have been gotten rid of (like you no longer need to use an action special to set a line tag, you can just do it within the editor, and you can assign more than 255 to an argument in said line specials I think...)

UDMF also supports scaling of sector flats and walls' textures, as well as rotating sector flats without using scripting. Unless you want a more dynamic feel to something, you can just set it right in the editor.

Unless you're targeting another port that doesn't support Hexen format maps or UDMF maps, it's best to probably switch to UDMF format going forward if you intend on just using GZDoom.

IMO there's really no use for making a map in the DOOM format unless you intend on targeting another port.

Also Ultimate Doom Builder integrates nicely with UDMF features as well as GZDoom featureset.
SanyaWaffles
Now I've awoken, and I'm taking back control.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Assets (and other stuff)