Sprites rendering in Visual mode but invisible in game (UDB)

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Sprites rendering in Visual mode but invisible in game (UDB)

Postby Deon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:42 am

Hello, I am trying to make my own banners for a castle map I am building.

I take a banner from a very popular mod and try to see how it's implemented.
Seems pretty simple, decorate.txt, necessary paths etc.

However what I've noticed is that if I open the existing PNG and edit a SINGLE pixel on it, and save it again, the resulting image is visible in the Visual mode of Ultimate Doom builder, but doesnt' appear in game:

Example. Visual mode (left one is edited and re-saved in different editors)


In game:


This is unfortunately a bottleneck to my ability to make a custom map... Any help would be appreciated!
User avatar
Deon
 
Joined: 08 Oct 2020

Re: Sprites rendering in Visual mode but invisible in game (

Postby Hellser » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:13 am

There's a list of things that could be going on. It might help if you share the unedited and edited (mark them / name them too please :D) sprite so we can see what's going on before and after. I would like to say something funky is going on with the Alpha channel or PNG's metadata that GZDoom doesn't like. But my assumption could be wrong.
User avatar
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Location: Citadel Station
Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Sprites rendering in Visual mode but invisible in game (

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:44 am

Good afternoon.

In case someone wonders: the problem was the offset that was "lost" when I was editing sprites in GIMP/Photoshop. Simply opening PNG with SLADE3 and correcting offsets helped.

There's another problem here that everyone should be aware of: unless the file you edit is marked with "*" next to its name in SLADE3, the offset modifications won't be saved.
The easiest way to fix it is to:
1) Modify the offsets in SLADE, click away from the file and confirm changing offsets.
2) INSIDE OF SLADE3 WITHOUT CLOSING IT, rename the file to something else, and then back. The file will preserve its name, but it will be marked for "saving" which will save offsets 100%.

I hope it helps someone else who knows how to use Search :).
User avatar
Deon
 
Joined: 08 Oct 2020


Return to Assets (and other stuff)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests