Increase performance for high-res textures

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Increase performance for high-res textures

Postby etbasch » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:22 am

I like to use mods adding new high-resolution textures for classic Doom instead of vanilla ones. However, even with the Vulkan API enabled, for big maps with a lot of objects and textures, I experience lags and frame rate drops when playing with these mods.
Question: can I do anything to these textures and mods to make the game perform better? As a possible solution I was thinking about:
  • shrinking the textures to half their size, so that they are still bigger than vanilla ones, but smaller than their originals;
  • converting texture files to other format readable by Doom engine, for example, PNG, JPG, DDS, GIF, BMP etc.
  • convert the texture file into a Doom lump (not sure how to do that, and if Doom lump is actually different than a normal image file)
Are there any other ways to make Doom engine process graphic files faster?
etbasch
Doom modder and player

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Increase performance for high-res textures

Postby Hellser » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:19 am

Make sure you're not using any upscaling texture filter first (Normal 4x, HQ4x, etc.). You would be surprised how hard your computer starts chugging if you're upscaling multiple 512x512 textures up by 4 times (2048x2048 oh my!) with an algorithm placed on top of that.

To avoid losing detail, make sure these are PNG already. You can try running PNGCrush to get smaller sizes. JPG might introduce artifacts and seams. GIF will actually produce larger sizes compared to that with BMP. Which might actually cause more lag -- loading a 52mb file and what not).

If this is something technical, what is your GPU and how much VRAM do you have available?
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby etbasch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Hellser wrote:Make sure you're not using any upscaling texture filter first (Normal 4x, HQ4x, etc.). You would be surprised how hard your computer starts chugging if you're upscaling multiple 512x512 textures up by 4 times (2048x2048 oh my!) with an algorithm placed on top of that.

To avoid losing detail, make sure these are PNG already. You can try running PNGCrush to get smaller sizes. JPG might introduce artifacts and seams. GIF will actually produce larger sizes compared to that with BMP. Which might actually cause more lag -- loading a 52mb file and what not).

If this is something technical, what is your GPU and how much VRAM do you have available?

Here's the current GZDoom video settings I use for gaming. Anything wrong with it?
And here's my GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
And here's my VRAM for the monitor: 4096 MB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
etbasch
Doom modder and player

Postby Hellser » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm

You're using ScaleNx (Scale 3x by the looks of it), if a texture is 1024x1024, that's 3072x3072 for just one texture. So you might need to turn that down to see if things clear up some.
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby etbasch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Hellser wrote:You're using ScaleNx (Scale 3x by the looks of it), if a texture is 1024x1024, that's 3072x3072 for just one texture. So you might need to turn that down to see if things clear up some.

Thank you. Changed to 2x. It helped. The HD textures in the mod are either 512x512, 512x1024 or 1024x1024.
etbasch
Doom modder and player

Return to Assets (and other stuff)