SOLVED Sprite retaining transparency

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

SOLVED Sprite retaining transparency

Postby mydoomdevelopment » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:07 am

I am no longer able to import sprites with transparency into slade while retaining transparency, yesterday I did not have this issue with a dozen sprites. Here is the image. It is uploaded with transparency, or it should be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mydoomdevelopment on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mydoomdevelopment

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: Sprite retaining transparency

Postby mydoomdevelopment » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:42 am

SOLUTION: The file was a JPG, this will not work, instead use PNG early on in editing and save yourself 3 hours of angst
mydoomdevelopment

Re: SOLVED Sprite retaining transparency

Postby SanyaWaffles » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 am

JPGs are only really useful for hi-res textures. Even then they might lose info due to the lossy compression and artifacts.

I stick with PNGs. Can't go wrong with PNGs. PNG is a good format.
SanyaWaffles
Certified Heretic and Grill Champion

Discord: SanyaWaffles#0950
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby mydoomdevelopment » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:40 am

SanyaWaffles wrote:JPGs are only really useful for hi-res textures.

Got any tips on that? I took these pictures with my hand and gun today in 4k so I have a huge range of available resolutions. However I don't know how I would implement anything larger than say 60x100p without it just being gigantic. Surely I'm missing some mechanic entirely
mydoomdevelopment

Postby Enjay » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:09 am

You can take the original pictures big, but then reduce them in a graphics editing program (or keep the pics big and scale them using GZDoom features - but most people don't do that because it creates a big file with hi-res images that don't match the rest of the game).

Either way, jpgs are simply not suitable. They use lossy compression and when an image is small, the compromises that the jpg format makes to keep file sizes down look terrible. They only get away with it in big images because the messy blurring and compression artefacts are so small compared to the overall image that most people won't notice them most of the time.

So, my advice would be to take a big picture then import it into graphics editing software and then resize and clean up from there - saving as a png.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby mydoomdevelopment » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:15 am

I've been using Gimp to resize images, very successfully too. I just blundered today by not noticing the formats. I would like to learn how to import higher res images with gzdoom, I've been pixelating images in Gimp and sizing them before I put them into Slade so all I have to do is drop it in position. I would love to be able to manage exactly how pixelated and or small they are and it sounds like that would be my solution for managing the resolution and finding a middle ground. I plan on doing a complete overhaul in the long run, so having *slightly* higher res sprites now would be kosher. Sadly I've been looking for info on how to do just that all day and can't really find anything that specifiea what to do, everyone practically just says "do it".

Also thanks sm for the info guys
mydoomdevelopment

Return to Assets (and other stuff)