How do I organize a mod?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

How do I organize a mod?

Postby gman829 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:49 pm

So I want to make a total conversion mod, and I have tons of items, monsters, music, props, and textures I want to use. What I want to know is how can I organize everything in SLADE in folders (like one folder for all the texture addons and another for the monster addons and so on)?
gman829

Re: How do I organize a mod?

Postby Enjay » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 pm

Personally, if I'm working on a big mod, I don't put anything inside an archive until I'm nearly finished these days. If you set up a folder so that it has the same internal structure as a properly organised PK3, then you can load the folder in GZDoom and it will work in just the same way as a PK3 would.

Doing it this way means that you get quick and easy access to your files for editing - and it means that it's easy to edit them with specific tools that you might want to use for that particular resource type (e.g. perhaps Photoshop for graphics, Audacity for sound or whatever). You dan't have to extract them to edit them because they're already sitting on your HD waiting to be edited.

When the mod is ready, you can zip up the folder contents, rename the zip to pk3 and you are good to go.

This describes the correct internal structure of a PK3 Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

What is it with people starting posts with the word "so" these days?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to Assets (and other stuff)