Replacements for "Realistic" corpses?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Barry Burton

Replacements for "Realistic" corpses?

Post by Barry Burton »

I've always disliked the look of the GOR1 decorations and the similar looking wall textures. I've a feeling they're perhaps from Adrian Carmacks more morbid side looking like they're scanned in from some WWII concentration camp photos or something. I prefer my gore to be fantasy rather than real dead people!
WALL51_2.png
WALL51_2.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 560 times
GOR1A0.png
GOR1A0.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 560 times
(I can't be the only one who finds these a little stylistically incongruous!)

Does anyone know of decent replacement textures and decorations that better suit the 'cartoony' Doom look of the other dead bodies/bits?
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Replacements for "Realistic" corpses?

Post by Hellser »

I was thinking about this recently as well. I recall the Jaguar port had these graphics redrawn to match Doom's other bodies (as well as some other graphics / textures). If these do get redrawn, I will definitely add these to my autoload list.

Edit: Threw this together as an example of what they would look like in (PC) DOOM:

ImageImage
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm pretty sure Jekyll is reworking the sprite object versions of these for Beautiful Doom, and they might have gotten added to Random Deaths & Decorations at some point. The textures here would be fairly easy to recreate matching those.

8-)
Jekyll Grim Payne

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Hey there. Indeed, in Beautiful Doom I've remade all the corpse decorations, although they look somewhat different from Doom style and I'd say they have their own style (they're also not always palette-friendly). I haven't gotten around redoing textures yet, but once I figure out how to do it without possible compatibility issues, I'll do that. You can play my mod, and I'm OK with my sprites being used as well, although in this case I'd kindly ask you to wait until I make a new stable release (hopefully it'll happen around the same time as a new stable GZDoom build).

Attaching some examples.
Attachments
ENc17-6XUAcrkuA.png

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”