about use of polygon characters

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Marscaleb

about use of polygon characters

Post by Marscaleb »

The last time I was thinking about adding polygonal characters into a Doom mod I was planning on using a different source port (for reasons that are now irrelevant.)
I was displeased with the way the engine handled them, and decided against it.

But ZDoom (or rather, GZDoom) has had a lot more development, so I'm wondering how well it handles polygon enemies/players/etc.

Mostly this comes down to enemy movement; are there options to extend enemy movement to look proper with polygonal meshes? By default monsters in Doom will instantly turn to face things, and they only walk in the eight cardinal directions. It's fine with sprites but with polygons it just looks weird and wrong.

Perhaps I should ask, anyone have any links to any projects that did a good job of using polygonal enemies, so I could take a look at what is really possible?
Cherno

Re: about use of polygon characters

Post by Cherno »

Here's an example pk3 which implements smooth model turning. All actors using this have to inherit from a custom base class, however.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nedti0mw2jw4p ... hmodel.pk3
Marscaleb

Re: about use of polygon characters

Post by Marscaleb »

There seems to be something wrong with that pk3 file. Nothing happens when GZDoom tries to load it, Slade can't open it, and it won't open as a zip file.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”