Making mods widescreen compatible

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Making mods widescreen compatible

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:55 am

Fellow doomers, as GZDoom supports widescreen graphic lumps I wanted to ask how this feature actually works - there isn’t a documentation at the wiki yet on how to implement them.

For the original releases, people are already working on enhanced replacements here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67843&start=105

I wonder, if I want to add widescreen compatibility to my old mods, how would I do that to make the graphics seamlessly fit also on all the other possible resolution ratios?

Best regards and thanks,
Dan

*EDIT*
I tried to implement it into Blade of Agony for now but with the latest development version of GZDoom from today (April 13th, 2020) it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I've added to the GAMEINFO lump
Code: Select allExpand view
FULLSCREENAUTOASPECT = "3"

according to drfrag's post from the original thread:
Subject: Option to change aspect ratio of menu background images
drfrag wrote:You need a GAMEINFO flag:
Code: Select allExpand view
Due to backwards compatibility needs and for flexibility this needs to be controlled by a gameinfo setting (fullscreenautoaspect):

0: Treat all images as having an aspect ratio of 4:3, this is the default for compatibility reasons
1: Scale all images to fit the screen, i.e. either pillarbox or letterbox them.
2: Scale all images to fill the screen.
3: Scale all images so that the center 4:3 area is always fully visible. This is the recommended mode for 16:9 images designed to be shown with the sides being cropped on narrower displays.

and wide pics of course, and a recent devbuild.

This is the image that I have prepared in a aspect of 21:9
#BOAHELP.jpg

And this is how it ends up ingame (image squished, black letterboxes left and right):
2020-04-13_181322.jpg

What did I do wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Re: Making mods widescreen compatible

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 am

There are several open bug reports I've made that touch on all of these issues. Let's wait for Graf to have time to take a look at them. He's currently busy doing some heavy engine refactoring work.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks for the hint regarding this. Just for the record: The GAMEINFO is correct and the image size in the 21:9 aspect as well? That way I can at least prepare a few things
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:48 pm

The MAPINFO/GameInfo-block part is correct, but there are still some scaling issues that Graf hasn't commented on yet.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Return to Assets (and other stuff)