Custom Options Menu Font

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
PyroHeisenberg
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Custom Options Menu Font

Post by PyroHeisenberg »

Greetings, fellow mod developers.

Even though I am not active on this forum (or any other forum for that matter), I've been working on several Doom projects for the past 10+ years. I have noticed that newer GZDoom versions have changed the Options menu font to a new default one for a quite some time.

Back in the day, I used a custom font that not only changed all the in-game messages (print, hudmessages, player messages on multiplayer, etc) but the menu font as well.
However, since this change I couldn't figured out how to make the custom font work on the options menu (and sub menus) nor how to resolve this nasty little glitch that happens every time I hit the menu now (photo down below).

I looked at everything on the MENUDEF and similar artciles on the Wiki and tried my best to do a deep research into the forum but I haven't found anything that can solve this. Maybe I'm missing something... :(

Anyway, is there a way to make a new font to replace the options menu font or to at least a way to resolve this placement bug?

Thank you for your time and for reading this. Hope to hear from you all soon!
Attachments
Now the menu is overlaping each other!
Now the menu is overlaping each other!
Gez

Re: Custom Options Menu Font

Post by Gez »

The font change was brought about by GZDoom's new [wiki]internationalization[/wiki] feature, as it was needed to get all the characters needed for other languages (extended Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, CJK) as well as reduce the width of individual characters so the lengthier strings in some other languages still fit on the screen. AFAIK there's no way to modify the options menu font yet.

Do you use a custom menudef? The vertical spacing is normal by default.
PyroHeisenberg
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PyroHeisenberg »

Hey, Gez!
Thank you so much for your response and respectful feedback.

It's unfortunately we cannot alter anymore these fonts, but the reason is for the best. I'm glad GZDoom has become more friendly for international users who doesn't want to play in English.

As for the space bug, I figured out on MENUDEF. I was so focused on altering the fonts that I didn't noticed I altered the default parameters... LOL

Thanks again! See all you guys soon.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Gez wrote: yet.
So is there a planning in the future to allow us modders to create custom fonts on the options menu again?

Here below is the huge difference between my mod Legacy of Suffering running on GZDoom and then on LZDoom.
Attachments
LOS running on GZDoom
LOS running on GZDoom
LOS on LZDoom
LOS on LZDoom
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Logan MTM wrote:
Gez wrote: yet.
So is there a planning in the future to allow us modders to create custom fonts on the options menu again?

Here below is the huge difference between my mod Legacy of Suffering running on GZDoom and then on LZDoom.
Someday. But it'll most likely only accept the font format it's already using, and it'll most certainly require you to provide all required characters. (Aside from maybe the CJK characters)

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”