Best Doom Palette Sprite editor

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Goldenflare5643

Best Doom Palette Sprite editor

Post by Goldenflare5643 »

I've been making alot of sprites lately and I am tired of having to import them into slade to get them into the correct doom palette. Is there any image editor that I can use to set the color palette in, or just limit the usable colors into the palette?

~Thanks
Gez

Re: Best Doom Palette Sprite editor

Post by Gez »

Potatoshop has a very cool thing where you can put a palette layer over an image and it shows you how the image looks when paletted, even though the image is still actually truecolor. So you can work in truecolor while seeing in real time how it'll look paletted. The PSD files also preserve the original truecolors if you want to do more tweaks.

Otherwise, just about any serious image editing software can work in paletted mode. SLADE also lets you export Doom palettes into the formats used by Gimp or PaintShopPro.
Goldenflare5643

Post by Goldenflare5643 »

Gez wrote:Potatoshop has a very cool thing where you can put a palette layer over an image and it shows you how the image looks when paletted, even though the image is still actually truecolor. So you can work in truecolor while seeing in real time how it'll look paletted. The PSD files also preserve the original truecolors if you want to do more tweaks.

Otherwise, just about any serious image editing software can work in paletted mode. SLADE also lets you export Doom palettes into the formats used by Gimp or PaintShopPro.
how do I get Gimp to use only the Doom palette? I make the sprites in Gimp first b4 I convert them and if I could get it so I could only choose colors from doom that would be fantastic!
Gez

Post by Gez »

The palettes are in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\palettes (adjust the path if you've installed GIMP elsewhere than in Program Files\GIMP 2).

In SLADE, select the PLAYPAL you want, then right-click->palette->export as...

You get a file save dialog, change the type to Gimp palette, select a name, and save.

Put your new gimp palette file in the gimp palette directory. Next time you start GIMP, it'll find this palette and you'll have it as a choice when choosing image->mode->indexed colors. Don't forget to untick the checkbox about removing colors unused in the image.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”