Replacing IWAD textures with PBR versions

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
neoworm

Replacing IWAD textures with PBR versions

Post by neoworm »

Using Materialize I generated normal, AO and some other PBR material maps for stock HeXen textures with suprisingly good results (at least from the preview). And I would like to make a replacement mod that just swaps the stock textures with the generated PBR ones. But I cannot force GZDooM to show them ingame. I tried naming them in GLDEFS both as raw textures (W_001, W_002 etc.) and their TEXTURES names (CAVE1, CAVE2 etc.) but ingame it still shows normal textures. Where am I making mistake?

Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Replacing IWAD textures with PBR versions

Post by Talon1024 »

First of all, which PBR textures did you generate? Secondly, have you shined any lights on them to verify that they are indeed non-PBR textures?

PBR textures for GZDoom require:
  • Metalness
  • Roughness
  • Ambient occlusion
  • Normal map
If any one of these are missing, GZDoom won't use PBR.

Also, maybe check your GLDefs to ensure you're using the right keywords to point to each material.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I use following code in GLDEFS:

Code: Select all

material texture W_001
{
	normal normal\W_001_normal.png
	metallic metal\W_001_metallic.png
	roughness rough\W_001_smoothness.png
	ao ao\W_001_ao.png
	glossiness 10
}
I have all the textures at right paths now I think. Previously I was missing "patches" folder and had the diffuse textures right in the root of PK3 and it didn't even showed them ingame. Right now it only shows the modified diffuse texture with removed shadows and doesn't react to dynamic lights at all.

I tried to make a map and use the texture under some different name but GZDooM builder gives me IO error when saving every time.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Try enclosing texture path names with ", for example

Code: Select all

normal "normal\W_001_normal.png"
Also, glossiness is only used for specularity workflow (diffuse/specular/normal). For PBR workflow, glossiness (and specularlevel) doesn't do anything.

I generally advise against using PBR for the time being as its implementation is incomplete. PBR requires reflection probes to work as intended, which GZDoom doesn't implement yet. For now, I'd recommend sticking to specular workflow.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I will try that, thanks.
I wanted to try what it can do and test Materialize. And glossiness I got from the PBR tutorial thread, where it is in the example.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

It didn't help, Could somebody create for me a mod with working replacement for stock HeXen texture which I could use as a base?

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”