It is possible to reload edited assets during gameplay?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
crowbars82

It is possible to reload edited assets during gameplay?

Post by crowbars82 »

Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure which subsection to post this in, but is it possible to reload PNG textures, DECORATE, GLDEF (specifically GLDEFS), or any other asset used... during gameplay?

I've started toying with PBR textures and I am having to quit the game, modify the GLDEFS file and then load the game, load the map, find the corridor with the texture again...

There is a reset cmmd which resets the whole game, I couldn't find any cmmds that just reset/reload the graphics or such.

Please if anyone knows if this is possible, would be really helpful!

Many thanks!!
Nash

Re: It is possible to reload edited assets during gameplay?

Post by Nash »

The reset command is as good as it gets. Apparently reset +map map01 doesn't work so you're still forced to go to the title screen, start new game etc etc etc... at that point, not much time is really saved from iteration, might as well just quit the whole program and relaunch it with the map command working from the cmd prompt.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This isn't possible. Many of the textures' information is read only once at game startup - if you change content the engine has to re-run this stuff all over again.
crowbars82

Post by crowbars82 »

Thanks anyway dudes, much appreciated! After testing the reset command, I found that it can be a bit too powerful for specific mods such as Project Brutality... it seemed to also reset all the mod settings, but retain the vanilla Doom settings.

I have a shortcut that loads up Doom using the +map MAP03, and then a key is now bound to "kill monsters ; warp XYZ ; r_drawplayersprites 0", and this helps a bit.

This new functionality to use PBR textures is excellent! :D

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”