Doubt about effects with black background - Sprites

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Doubt about effects with black background - Sprites

Postby Niphura » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Is it possible to rip and use this effect as sprites? or the black background will appear in game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USnASJ1 ... jkotserver
Niphura

Discord: ---

Re: Doubt about effects with black background - Sprites

Postby Pixel Eater » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:26 am

Here's a test against a random coloured background. This was done in Photoshop, but I'm writing a shader for GZDoom that will do this automatically.
Flame0.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pixel Eater
I sense evil I fear it here today, Like a bad dream that never goes away -MBerry

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Postby Apeirogon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am

Download video using flashgot and mozilla 56 - using ffmpeg split video to frames - using magick of photoshop/paint remove black background - slade - import - decorate.

Or, you can download it already divided to pictures. You ony left to chose what you like.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Io696 ... -NcHpG7MaZ
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby Niphura » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Apeirogon wrote:Download video using flashgot and mozilla 56 - using ffmpeg split video to frames - using magick of photoshop/paint remove black background - slade - import - decorate.

Or, you can download it already divided to pictures. You ony left to chose what you like.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Io696 ... -NcHpG7MaZ

Thank you very much!
Niphura

Discord: ---

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:16 am

Niphura wrote:Is it possible to rip and use this effect as sprites? or the black background will appear in game?

It depends on how you do it. Once you render such a thing in a mode where colors get inverted the black will turn into white. This can happen with some items when using the enhanced nightvision effect of the GL renderer.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Pixel Eater » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am

I've used your example flame sprites in a test for my translucency shader. It's set to replace the Archvile's fire frames. It will turn blacks progressively translucent but preserves the opacity of more saturated colours AND you won't have to do Photoshop editing to remove the black background :twisted:
It also respects the menu's translucency preferences:
Off.jpg
On.jpg

There's a little setup involved:
Spoiler:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pixel Eater
I sense evil I fear it here today, Like a bad dream that never goes away -MBerry

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Return to Assets (and other stuff)