Ogg files crash Slade instantly.

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
vAethor

Ogg files crash Slade instantly.

Post by vAethor »

Hey, not sure if this is the right forum for this question, or if any forum here is right for this question, but Slade's been giving me a real headache-inducing problem since the end of last year. When I load .ogg files for music (probably does it on sound effects too, but haven't tried it yet) it crashes instantly when I either save after loading the asset, or click on the asset itself

I tried updating Slade to the newest version about eight or so months ago, the problem persists. And I also notice when I open other peoples' wads that have .ogg files in them, I can click and play the files just fine for the most part. But when I start a new wad or PK3 project and want to include ogg assets, it instantly crashes the minute I save or click on the asset. It's a huge problem and I need to fix it ASAP.
Gez

Re: Ogg files crash Slade instantly.

Post by Gez »

Perhaps it's a problem with the particular ogg you're trying to include? Have you tried extracting one that works (from one of the other peoples' wads you've mentioned) and importing that one to test it?

If the problem does seem to be specific to the ogg file you're trying to use, then please upload it somewhere so that sirjuddington or me could take a look at it.
vAethor

Post by vAethor »

Gez wrote:Perhaps it's a problem with the particular ogg you're trying to include? Have you tried extracting one that works (from one of the other peoples' wads you've mentioned) and importing that one to test it?

If the problem does seem to be specific to the ogg file you're trying to use, then please upload it somewhere so that sirjuddington or me could take a look at it.
I just did an experiment. I opened a WAD whose ogg files I know work (the Doom Metal soundtrack wad,) exported D_RUNNIN.ogg as a new file, then opened it in a new wad project. It didn't crash.

But then I loaded another ogg file, a music loop I made myself and it crashed. It seems to be pretty random what crashes it and what doesn't, but maybe it has to do with the program I use to save ogg files. I used Goldwave with an ogg codec, and that program has to be almost two decades old.

But then again, even oggs saved with that program worked just fine up until a certain point, when they started crashing.

If you want here's the first ogg file that it crashed on, a loop I made of some Quake 2 music:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14QoYf ... qIB4k6gi4X

It did it again. I just loaded this file again into a new PK3 and it crashed the minute I tried to play it. Very eager to see what you find on your end.
Gez

Post by Gez »

When trying to play it, I do get a crash, with this stack trace:

Code: Select all

Stack Trace:
0: [unknown location] memcpy
1: [unknown location] sf::MemoryInputStream::read
2: [unknown location] sf::priv::SoundFileWriterFlac::write
3: [unknown location] vorbis_lsp_to_curve
4: [unknown location] ov_pcm_seek_page
5: [unknown location] ov_pcm_seek
6: [unknown location] sf::priv::SoundFileReaderOgg::seek
7: [unknown location] sf::InputSoundFile::seek
8: [unknown location] sf::Music::onSeek
9: [unknown location] sf::SoundStream::play
So the problem seems to be within SFML. I have opened an issue on the GitHub tracker.
vAethor

Post by vAethor »

Good news. I saved another ogg music loop using Audacity instead of Goldwave, and at least so far, no crashes from Slade.

I think it must have had to do with the ogg codec Goldwave uses being extremely outdated or something.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”